Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for jobs

Options
  • 07-02-2011 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hey lads,

I was wondering how you guys go about getting jobs. Do you get into a traineeship with a service and then get a job when you complete the course or can you go to a college, finish the course, register with PHECC and then apply for jobs. Reason I ask is because I am STILL planning on moving over and being a qualified paramedic in australia I was wondering if they would take me on if i was not trained by them. Even though I am experienced!

If you do apply for jobs after going to a college does that mean an ambulance service employs you on the basis that you have minimal "on road" experience post course? Or do they take the intership you do at college into account?

thanks for your input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Trained Paramedics have been taken into employment without going through the trainee recruitment process.
    These posts are usually advertised in publicjobs.ie
    You will need to be PHECC registered with minimum Paramedic level qualfication. You will also need an EU D1 and C1 driving licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 aussieparamedic

thanks Bang Bang

I have never actually worked in an ambulance " on road" setting before. i am a paramedic with exp in mines and in medical centres. I still have an ambulance and respond to code 1/2/3 calls but never for a ambulance service. do you think that would look bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

thanks Bang Bang

I have never actually worked in an ambulance " on road" setting before. i am a paramedic with exp in mines and in medical centres. I still have an ambulance and respond to code 1/2/3 calls but never for a ambulance service. do you think that would look bad?

It's impossible to say as they look at each individual on their own merits with regards to experience, scope, skillset, education and ability to adapt to CPGs and protocols.

You can but try! :)

Keep an eye here for when the trained Paramedic advert goes up.. you will need to have your PHECC licence sorted before then though! And you can directly exchange an Australian licence for an Irish one without having to sit a test.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit.html

Advertisement