Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2.1 requirement for accounting

Options
  • 07-02-2011 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Do you think that if you had a 2.2 degree and then went on to do a PDA in DIT or DCU and got good grades that the likes of the big 4 would consider hiring you or would you need a 2.1 degree regardless?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

On the big 4 application forms it says that a minimum 2:1 is required but I have heard of a lot of people contacting the HR department and explaining thier situation and being told to go ahead with their application.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SL10

I got a 2.2 in my degree but then went on to do a masters in smurfitt (Masters in Management). I got good results in my masters and got accepted into a Big4.

Saying that- that was just before the recession hit so there were a lot more jobs going at that stage. I think it might be a bit more difficult to get in now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Usually there is an other info section and some even ask for details of any circumstance that affected results. If there is an reasonable explanation, serious illness etc., which impacted on the earlier degree, it can be worth mentioning it but it must be genuine and not appear like excuses for slacking off :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

jjjqwerty wrote: »
    Do you think that if you had a 2.2 degree and then went on to do a PDA in DIT or DCU and got good grades that the likes of the big 4 would consider hiring you or would you need a 2.1 degree regardless?

The main problem is lazy recruitment. They get so many applicants that they want to cut the numbers as fast as possible. The easiest way to do this is to cut everyone who got less than say a 2.1 or 420 leaving cert points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

It will be harder now, Id say 3 years ago you would be fine once your results were not confirmed before you applied

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

It's certainly not impossible to get offers off a 2.2, I got offers off two of the Big 4 and a few mid tier firms.

I did the PgDip in DIT and got a 2.2 in that aswell!!!!!!!!!!

My experience in talking to the firms was that having a 2.2 is a serious disadvantage but if you can demonstrate excellence in some other way(i.e. Great work experience, Brilliant interview technique, some other extra-academic achievement) that goes some way to helping you.

Keep in mind that a 2.1 in the PGDip will not erase the 2.2 you got in your degree.

Most likely you will be applying for these firms as you are starting your PGDip, all they will see is a 2.2 in your degree and your expected/hoped for results in the PGDip.

Advertisement