Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My cat keeps vomiting

Options
  • 07-02-2011 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Hi, I wonder if anyone has any advice. My cat keeps vomiting after she eats. I called the vet earlier and he advised only feeding her half a pouch of her normal food, mashed up well as he thinks she could be eating it too fast. I tried that this evening and she vomited again. Any ideas to help me and her out? Other than getting sick she seems absolutely fine, she is drinking water and is in good spirits.:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I have one cat who's prone to bringing it all back up - especially if she's been eating prey. It could be worms, could be overeating. If it continues for a few days a trip to the vet is in order just to rule out anything more serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Ailishcrehan

once you and the vet can rule out all possible illness, you could try putting something in her bowl to slow her eating down. For example, put some egg cups/regular cup in her bowl so she'll have to eat around the egg cups/regular cup and she cannot stick her head right in to the bowl. Or feed her tiny amounts more often. Is she also on a dry food diet? If not, she could be just hungry so wolfes her food down when she gets it. I free feed my cats dry food, so it is always available to them and they get half a pouch morning in evening more as a treat than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hello clicli. How old is your cat?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭clicli

She's about two years old. I have been feeding her a pouch of felix in the morning, dry food during the day and a pouch in the evening. When I spoke to the vet he said to cut out the dry food as she should have enough with the wet food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Is she drinking more water than usual? I think you should have her bloods checked. Both diabetes and kidney problems can cause vomiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

What is actually in the vomit? Is it just her food with a little clear liquid? Any blood?
    My cat used to throw up straight after eating a lot of dry food too fast, I stopped free feeding her (started giving her smaller meals 3-4 times a day) and she hasn't thrown up since. It was always fully whole biscuits in a clear liquid, she never chewed or even cracked her biscuits in half. Sometimes she used to eat them again afterwards!

Provided it's only food and clear liquid in the vomit I would feed even smaller meals (4-5 times a day if you have to) and see does it stop, if it doesn't then a visit to the vet is definitely needed. Cats are usually grazers anyways, prefering to eat a few meals a day rather than 1 or 2 big meals. Putting a cup or tennis ball in her bowl is a good idea as well to slow her down.

I write all this while eating my dinner, I love my invincible tummy! :D

Consider feeding the cat only wet food or only dry food and see if there is a change. Please take the cat to the vet if the vomiting continues. Take care.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Once she's wormed, vet checked and so on, you can look into the food itself as the source of the problem.

I have a scoffer/vomiter in my bunch - he literally pigs out when he's hungry, and then projectile spews it all over the place. There's absolutely nothing wrong with him except his personality. :D

It happens most often with pouches of catfood - he laps up as much of the rich gravy as he can and then eats the bits, and it just all comes back up again. He does much better if it's raw meat - that nearly never comes up, because he has to chew his food slowly and carefully if he's fed long strips of raw meat. Similarly he will inhale kibble whole and spew it again, so the solution there was to change to a variety of kibble shapes, and mix small and large pieces together (I use a variety of Royal Canin brands - oral care is big, then there's a brand for oriental cats which is shaped a bit like cheerios, then another smaller kibble, and mix it all in together).

I feed alternating kibble, raw meat and wet commercial catfood. Royal Canin is the best dry food I've found that suits my lot, but it makes up only one half of their daily calorie requirements, and I make up the other half with raw meat, or commercial cat food - either really good high end stuff, or whiskas pouches if they're on sale (on the basis that the rest of what they eat is top quality.) At most they get three whiskas pouches per day between the six of them.

If your cat is doing well on her food, she should be silky, shiny, well padded without being fat, and bright-eyed. If your cat doesn't display those characteristics, even if you're feeding good food, look at tweaking and changing until she DOES display those characteristics. When I help out at the cat shelter and see cats who've just come in out of the pound, the condition of their fur really strikes me - they're coarse, wiry, the fur feels dry and brittle, they'll sometimes have dandruff flakes, they're spiky and their coats are dull. My guys are literally like wet silk by comparison - and whenever they start to feel a bit wiry or a bit rough, I'll give them a good groom and if that doesn't fix it I'll tweak their food.

4C931847107D42C5B839FA9D1F075B98-0000318402-0002046324-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg

She is very healthy other than the vomiting, the vomit is mainly undigested lumps of food and bile, no blood or foreign objects. I will call the vet again tomorrow and see what he says, thank you everyone for all your suggestions

Beautiful kitty. What did you name her?

• Advertisement

Her name is Annie, I fell in love with her when I went to the DSPCA about six months ago, she is just so affectionate and playful, even after being sick she still wants to play all the time!

Annie has got a great loving home. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

My Guy Vomits once every two-three weeks or so,
    but the Vet said he was fine, when he does get sick its normally clear liquid along with his food (whats more gross is if we don't see that he's gotten sick (rarely happens) he eats it :eek:)

He's 3 at the moment, he spent the first 6-8 months as a Ferrel cat on a farm then locked up in a cage in an animal shelter with his siblings. (maybe he fought for food for the first part of his life)

He loves his food and he always eats really fast and he tends to get sick when he get too excited about eating or we're late feeding him by an hour. although other times it just happens randomly.

We feed him half a pack of the Royal Canin wet food in the morning and a cup of dry and the same in the evening.

I suppose a big difference in our case is that its intermittent and he's normally fine straight away (runs and bounces around)

It's definitely something to keep an eye on though and maybe speak to your vet about it

Just a quick update, after changing how we feed her according to the vets instructions, no more vomit! The vet is quite happy that she is absolutly fine, so I am delighted!

Thanks everyone for all your advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I'm delighted to hear that:) It's such a huge relief to know they're ok. They are worse than children:D

clicli wrote: »
    Just a quick update, after changing how we feed her according to the vets instructions, no more vomit! The vet is quite happy that she is absolutly fine, so I am delighted!

Thanks everyone for all your advice

Great to hear she is fine. How do you feed her now?

Advertisement