Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samuel Beckett Bridge

Options
  • 07-02-2011 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

So, not a positive thread, but hey.

Anyone else had "problems" around Samuel Beckett Bridge? There seems to be a gang of youths that are "known" to the Gards, but what exactly does "known" mean? Yes we're aware of the problem and cant/wont do anything about it? or Yes we're keeping an eye on them but still cant do anything about it? Said youths have been randomly attacking people and generally causing mischief. :mad: I dont see any Gards patrolling the area in the evening which doesn't help :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Confusing title and thread..

I think the OP's question can better be answered by the members here;
    There seems to be a gang of youths that are known to the Gards, but what exactly does "known" mean? "Yes we're aware of the problem and cant/wont do anything about it?" or "Yes we're keeping an eye on them but still arent doing anything about it"?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭celebroom

Confusing title and thread..

I think the OP's question can better be answered by the members here;

celebroom wrote: »
    So, not a positive thread, but hey.

Anyone else had "problems" around Samuel Beckett Bridge? There seems to be a gang of youths that are "known" to the Gards, but what exactly does "known" mean? Yes we're aware of the problem and cant/wont do anything about it? or Yes we're keeping an eye on them but still cant do anything about it? Said youths have been randomly attacking people and generally causing mischief. :mad: I dont see any Gards patrolling the area in the evening which doesn't help :(

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, but hey. <-- Aah, it was moved to the right forum :D

If people don't report it then we have no crime and cannot prosecute people. If the people are from the local area then we can't really move them on. If they are not committing crimes then our hands are tied in situations like this.

Re patrolling the area, there may be issues with manpower or areas affected by crime where people actually make reports with have to be policed. We live in a world of statistics. If one area is showing high levels of reported crime and another is not but there are people annoying other people which one do you think will receive the patrols?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭celebroom

Hi Foreign,

Thanks for the reply. There is a general sense of apathy when it comes to reporting crimes committed by local youths - assault is of course a crime. You can generally see this apathy when searching forums. This is the reason I brought it up because I was wondering if people actually _have_ been reporting anything or at the very least are aware of any problems.

The Grand Canal area is generally pleasantly quiet and I do see private security firms patrolling the areas. Its only really been in the last few weeks I have been hearing these unpleasant stories and wanted some feedback. Of course I agree entirely with you on both your points. If people dont report it, a) the statistics wont do the talking and b) there wont be any patrols.

Cheerio,
    Celery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

That bridge is riddled with CCTV camera's. It should be that easy to tracked any offenders down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭CaseyRyback

CCTV is a useful tool but is useless without the backup of uniforms on the street. Equally whilst it might record instances of anti-social behaviour, unless criminal offences are disclosed there is little that can be done.

Groups hanging around are the blight of many a neighbourhood and area, however unless a criminal offence is witnessed by a Garda or a complaint is received backed up by evidence it is difficult, nigh on impossible, for anything other than patrols to be increased.

In a climate where Garda numbers are decreasing, units and squads disbanded and overtime all but non-existent this type of issue will only get worse before it gets better. Patrols may be stepped up for a short period, but ultimately it boils down to supply and demand and there is only ever the bare minimum on duty as regards the thin blue line, usually just about enough police cover to answer 999 calls.

If people knew the reality of how few cops are patrolling their streets, suffice to say there'd be a lot of worried people out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Is this a case of Waiting For Garda?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭CaseyRyback

Closer to the Gow and the Guards?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭belacqua_

deadwood wrote: »
    Is this a case of Waiting For Garda?

There's certainly no endgame in sight for the OP. Eh, Joe Duffy might be your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The bridge is very near Store street Garda station, maybe a 10 min walk. Also its right beside the National Convention Centre. You cannot be saying that there is no surveillance aka protection for a 'national' building? :)

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote: »
    The bridge is very near Store street Garda station, maybe a 10 min walk. Also its right beside the National Convention Centre. You cannot be saying that there is no surveillance aka protection for a 'national' building? :)

How many Garda Cameras do you think there are in Dublin City Center? Do you think there is one Garda for every camera? And the south side of that bridge is in the Pearse Street area. A separate division from Store Street.

It all comes back down to people living/working in the area and the people allegedly being attacked. If you don't call us or make a report then there is no crime. Despite what is said on here or on Joe.

Advertisement