Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Puch Mistral frame - CRACKED!

Options
  • 07-02-2011 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine gave me an old Puch Mistral Somethingorother at the weekend. The frame is a much better fit for me, which is great, but it's in bad nick. Unfortunately, stripping it revealed a few problems. The frame tubing says it's 'Puch Original 2500 High-Tensile Steel Tubes', same for the fork blades.

The brace for the brake between left and right seat stays is cracked on the crank-side. That's pushed the right seat stay out about a centimeter. Then I noticed the right drop-out is cracked where it meets the right chain-stay and is out of alignment slightly. Once I bring the rear rear end into where it should be (i.e. the same width as the lock-nut distance), things are mostly in alignment.

My question is: can these cracks be welded? If so, where would I go to get this done?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

they can be but i wouldnt let a diy or inexperienced welder do it.Could be very thin tubing and blowing a hole in it would be very easy.It may also need to be jigged for the welding depending how out of alingment the frame is.Throw up a photo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

I definitely wouldn't do it myself.

It's a nearly identical problem to this lad: http://www.lfgss.com/thread52111.html.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭purethick

Mercian in the UK are one of the best in the business - they renovated an old Viking Vision 531 frame for me a few years ago. Absolute quality job. Have a look at their pricing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Hmm, my frame isn't so high-end that I want to pay that much money if it can be avoided. Any other ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭purethick

sarkozy wrote: »
    Hmm, my frame isn't so high-end that I want to pay that much money if it can be avoided. Any other ideas?

I doubt you can get the frame repaired properly for little money....give Rothar a call to see if they have any ideas or any second hand frames you could use instead

• Advertisement
Advertisement