Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for someone going for Chartered Status?

Options
  • 07-02-2011 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi there, as the title suggests, I am keen to try and get my chartered status. I'm having real trouble getting work and I hope that being chartered might help. I have quite a few questions, so if you are able to answer any of them, please do.

1- What is required to be a chartered engineer? I graduated in 2004, had 3 years of full time work in three different companies. Then I went back to University to get make a detour in my career and get an MSc in Bioengineeing, which I did with top marks in the class. Since that I have been stuck working a fairly menial job in the HSE not related to engineering. Would I be considered?

2- I have to write 2 essays in my area. I don't as such have an area. I worked in 3 very different fields and then went into Bioengineering which was another detour. Do they want to read about the area I am in at the moment. As I have not worked in that area yet, would I be able to submit reports from my time in Uni or a review of my Thesis.

3- Is there any examples of the professional review available online? I find this most daunting as most if not all of my CPD certs have been lost, my career was so chop and change and is almost completely unrelated to what I want to be in ie bioengineering, and I am now working in an area that is totally unrelated to engineering.

4- As someone who is doing this independently of a company, are there people (for example in Engineers Ireland) I can contact to ask for advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭paraicr

Assuming you mean chartership of engineers Ireland then check out the website www.iei.ie

All the requirements are available to download.

3 years of relevant work experience plus the masters puts you just above the minimum required to apply I think. Give them a call or drop them an email in the institute and they'll advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭munkifisht

paraicr wrote: »
    Assuming you mean chartership of engineers Ireland then check out the website www.iei.ie

All the requirements are available to download.

3 years of relevant work experience plus the masters puts you just above the minimum required to apply I think. Give them a call or drop them an email in the institute and they'll advise you.

Thanks, will do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭EngIreland

Apologies for the long post.

Gave the chartership team your query and here is the info, that I hope, answers any questions you may have.

Any other questions, let me know or ring the number listed below.

Engineers Ireland

1. In order to achieve the title of Chartered Engineer a candidate must complete a minimum of eight years formation, which includes:
    · Successful completion of an accredited honours engineering degree or equivalent plus
    · A period of 4 years minimum spent in an engineering role and successfully applying engineering principles to the solution of problems.
    · Successfully completing the Professional Review of Engineers Ireland.

The Professional Review objective is to evaluate the extent to which the candidate has achieved the competences of a professional engineer as developed during the engineering practice period, to determine if the candidate can be granted the title of Chartered Engineer. Please see our Chartered Engineer quick guide (PDF, 85kb) for extra tips and formatting your Engineering Practice Report for the Chartered Engineer Title.

The Review includes:
    I. Completed Application Form, please click here Chartered Engineer application form (PDF, 782kb)
    II. Two supporters (two Chartered Engineers) to sign your Application Form and to initial specific sections of your Practice Report where the supporters are happy to support this experience.
    III. A table format of all CPD completed to date and a table format of your Career Summary Details. Please click here to view what counts as CPD http://www.engineersireland.ie/cpd/cpd-employer/what-counts/
    IV. Submission of a 3500 - 4000 Work Engineering Practice Report. The report should describe training and significant engineering work carried out by the candidate and linked to the competences of a Chartered Engineer as outlined in Appendix 3 of the Chartered Engineer Regulations (download the regulations (PDF, 245kb). It should summarise the Initial Professional Development (IPD) activities that the candidate has undertaken. The report must be verified by your 2 Chartered Engineer supporters.
    V. Submission of 2 x 500 - 600 word essays (selected from a list of 8 listed is Section 5.3.9 of the Chartered Engineer Regulations download the regulations (PDF, 245kb))
    VI. Attend a 1hour Professional Interview with 3 Chartered Engineer Interviewers.
    VII. There are two annual deadlines for receipt of CEng MIEI Applications i.e. end of January and end of June.

2 The Essays are only a small part of the submission (see I - VII above) and the topics must be chosen from a broad range of subjects which we provide.

3 There are no sample reports available to view as these are all confidential. However, if you are a member of Engineers Ireland, you are entitled to join any of our members forums and may find members who would be willing to share their experiences with you.

4 Our membership team are available to help you with any of your queries. For all relevant information on applying for a professional title, regulations, etc. please check out our website www.engineersireland.ie or phone 01 6651334

You may also be interested in:

· Engineers Ireland Information Evening
    The Engineers Ireland Membership Team invite you to attend our Information Evening on Monday 7th of March at 6.30pm to answer any queries you may have. On the night, you can find out more about the benefits of membership, the right route to membership for you, how to get more from your membership and how to apply for a registered title. To book your place please email your contact details to membership@engineersireland.ie or phone 01 665 1334

Advertisement