Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guys stealing bikes near Fade St, Dublin today

Options
  • 07-02-2011 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

As I was locking my bicycle at lunchtime today a woman came up and said she saw 3 guys stealing bikes (1 guy with a selection of tools and 2 spotters). She said didn't feel safe approaching them so she didn't intervene, she also mentioned they paid particular interest to my one as I was locking it up (so I locked mine elsewhere). They'd gone by the time she filled me in.

I'll inform Pearse St station about it.

Just letting y'all know...

[sting operation, anyone?]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

It's an ongoing problem in the area. As a member of the Business Watch in the area, I know that the guards are aware of the problem.

Here is a post I made a few months ago about the situation.

The safest thing to do is to park your bike on the racks in the Drury Street car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

How safe are those racks in Drury St?
    I've been using them for a few months now but still don't feel 100% safe doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I'd very often lock my bike on Fade St at night time for convenience before going to the pub. It's an old racing bike. Should I lock up elsewhere? Surely the same guys wouldn't go to the same street all the time, if people are starting to notice?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

littlejp wrote: »
    How safe are those racks in Drury St?
    I've been using them for a few months now but still don't feel 100% safe doing so.

I stopped leaving my bike in Drury St a few months ago after I noticed my lock had been interfered with. Shame as it is a great resource. I work on South Great Georges Street and have learnt my lesson the hard way about leaving bikes outdoors there.

Bike comes up 3 flights of stairs to the studio these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

the spot on georges st behind ricks burgers is notorious too. lost count of the amount of people i know with bikes getting nicked from there. . invest in a good lock is the best solution. i spent 90 euro on one and regularly leave my bike over night in the area. had it for about 3 years now without a problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

there has to be a good market for 2nd hand bikes. clearly any decent rider will know they are picking up a bike that is stolen... but there must be demand...

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Black Bloc

Possedion wrote: »
    there has to be a good market for 2nd hand bikes. clearly any decent rider will know they are picking up a bike that is stolen... but there must be demand...
    Good question. Where are they ending up? I don't believe reputable bike shops are taking them in. Are they leaving the jurisdiction?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

very simple to export a bike or break for parts,not much difference with this and the stealing and shipping/breaking of cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭billy.fish

If only there was some sort of online marketplace where you could sell bikes, or bike parts, for a profit. Some sort of site you could bid on a price that was more than you should pay...

Hmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭happytramp

billy.fish wrote: »
    If only there was some sort of online marketplace where you could sell bikes, or bike parts, for a profit. Some sort of site you could bid on a price that was more than you should pay...

Hmmmmm

We're trying to have a serious conversation here. Please take your nonsense to the Sci-Fi and Fantasy forum. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement