Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we ever caught out?

Options
  • 07-02-2011 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

Funnily I was thinking of posting this yesterday but didn't get around to it, and then I wake up this morning to 4 inches of unpredicted snow.

But my question is this: With forecasting accuracy increasing all the time are we ever caught out by unexpected weather? What causes unexpected changes at the eleventh hour?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

A big problem is lack of computing power, there just isn't enough to make perfect forecasts. And when you think about how complicated the atmosphere is, add in the sparsity of observations and I personally find it quite amazing we can make such accurate forecasts as we can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

To be fair Met Eireann did give a hint about it last night, Gerry Murphy said there could be a possibility of some sleet on hills in the north west, anyone familiar with Gerry Murphy knows that sleet on hills can easily mean significant snow at lower levels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭compsys

Harps wrote: »
    To be fair Met Eireann did give a hint about it last night, Gerry Murphy said there could be a possibility of some sleet on hills in the north west, anyone familiar with Gerry Murphy knows that sleet on hills can easily mean significant snow at lower levels

In fairness, the vast majority of normal everyday people who would watch the weather on TV aren't necessarily weather enthusiasts or avid boards.ie weather fans and wouldn't be familiar with Gerry's 'coded' forecasting. If it's gonna snow then just say it! What you've said isn't a valid excuse for the inaccurate forecast.

Most people who watched that forecast and heard Gerry say sleet on hills would not, and should NOT, have known that it translated to snow on low ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

compsys wrote: »
    If it's gonna snow then just say it!

I think this might have a bearing on why Met Eireann do not commit themselves to saying things straight out anymore.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054856271
    An article on it
    http://www.friendsoftheirishenvironment.net/paperstoday/index.php?action=view&id=8309

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

If one were to Google the main character in the piece linked above one will be see a number of litigation attempts against other bodies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement