Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scattering ashes in Ireland - anything to know?

Options
  • 07-02-2011 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I've already interred some of my father's ashes in my mother's grave, but also kept some to scatter in his hometown in Tipp; my idea would be to scatter them over the local river the Mulcair. Is there any legal issues related to scattering ashes - as long as its public land, can one do it without permission? My father was Catholic, but I presume there's no need for an actual service or priest?

P.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

I just checked citizensinformation.ie and it says you need permission from the relevant local authority if it's public land.

"If the dispersal is not on private ground, permission should be obtained from the appropriate authority, for example, the local authority."

Link is here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/death/after_a_death/cremations.html

Doesn't seem to be any need for a service to scatter ashes.

Sorry for your loss.

Advertisement