Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home recording?

Options
  • 07-02-2011 3:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Can someone give advice / tips on home recording, even some links to recording sites?

I've got an old fostex VF 16, 2 x Rode NT 1's (I think), a tube pre amp and an effects processor. I have a spare room set up for recording.

I got the basics down, meaning I can record tracks just bit lost when it comes to mixing with eq, effects, compression etc. I've no idea what I'm doing.

I'm recording just vocal and guitar mostly electric, sometimes acoustic.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Bluebirdstudios

Hendrixfan,
    Try back issues on web of sound on sound. Just type in want you want to focus on - ex. Mic technique,Eq tips ..... You'll get a few good starter articles there..
    -Declan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Hendrixfan

I bookmarked a few of those pages, tons of info, thanks.

I've a new problem, turned the tv on today its ticking all day, same with my computer speakers and same with both my guitar amps, everything with a speaker seems to tick? Its like static, I've been living here 2 years now and this is a first.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Iomega Man

Hi Hendrixfan,

Few different possibilities for this.
    Its more than likely interference on your mains but first things first.
    Do you have a wireless router nearby?

IM

I have mobile broadband. No sounds today, all's back to normal. Any idea what it could of been?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Live in a rural area ? Sounds like an electric fence .

• Advertisement

The clicking sound never came back, not near any fencers so no idea where it came from.

I recorded some tracks the other day, I've a bit of a band going we are now starting to record some stuff after a few weeks jamming, we are doing a version of Jimi Hendrix hear my train, got the drum track down and guitar, I put a clip of it on youtube, its my 1st mix so no idea where I'm at. For the drums I used two NT2's over head and some old dynamic in front of the kick. For guitar just poped same two NT2's infront of amp. Have a listen if you's can, if you's have any tips / advice would be great. Cheers.

http://youtu.be/OpRjn_BT-Xs

Advertisement