Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sentry Plus burglar alarm system

Options
  • 07-02-2011 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

Was just wondering if anyone has any advice on the Sentry Plus burglar alarm system that is for sale on ebay.
    Has anyone bought one of these and if they are any good.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭altor

To be honest it does not look great or say it is up to any standard, it says has EU approval but that means nothing. You would be better off looking at the likes of HKC, POWERMAX or SIGNET, at lease they conform to our standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 martybutler

Thanks for replying.

What standard is used here out of interest? and is there anywhere around cork city that sells one of the three makes mention above that doesn't require you to be a registered installer as one place told me today.

Thanks for replying.

What standard is used here out of interest? and is there anywhere around cork city that sells one of the three makes mention above that doesn't require you to be a registered installer as one place told me today.

All installers must install components that are up to the EN50131 standard. If you look here you will get a list of registered installers. Shop around as prices very from company to company.

That's great, but you wrote earlier that the alarm system on EBay didn't look great as it only had EN approval and that isn't the standard used here, and now you are saying that
    All installers must install components that are up to the EN50131 standard.
    I will admit that I don't know what EN standard the alarm is yet(have sent an email to the seller asking this) and post it up.

That's great, but you wrote earlier that the alarm system on EBay didn't look great as it only had EN approval and that isn't the standard used here, and now you are saying that
    All installers must install components that are up to the EN50131 standard.
    I will admit that I don't know what EN standard the alarm is yet(have sent an email to the seller asking this) and post it up.

That is incorrect, I wrote :

QUOTE=altor;70510325]
    To be honest it does not look great or say it is up to any standard, it says has EU approval but that means nothing.

It may have EU approval in another country but needs to be up to the EN50131 for an installer to use it here.

• Advertisement

You are right and I stand corrected I was reading and quoting the description of the alarm system off of EBay.
    Until the seller gets back to me about what EN standard its made to i won't ask anymore about it.

Just one other thing can i buy a good alarm system here without been a registered installer?

Just one other thing can i buy a good alarm system here without been a registered installer?

Yes, you can buy and install your own alarm system with out breaking the law. It is illegal to employ a non registered installer to install an alarm system. Both you and him could face prosecution.

Just to let ye know that the seller of the alarm got back to me this morning and this is what he wrote:
    The EN approval that the alarm system has is EN50131, this is the main approval needed for a wireless house alarm system. I have also attached the user manuals

In between minds what to do as he says it has the correct standard

Just to let ye know that the seller of the alarm got back to me this morning and this is what he wrote:
    The EN approval that the alarm system has is EN50131, this is the main approval needed for a wireless house alarm system. I have also attached the user manuals

In between minds what to do as he says it has the correct standard

Can you ask the seller if he can get you a certificate of conformance to the relevant standards off the manufacturer of the alarm, it should give the grade of the alarm, environmental class of the components used with this system.
    It is easy for him to say it is.

If you buy and install this alarm or any other alarm system in your own home the standard wont make any difference as you must be certified to install the alarm to the EN50131 standard. All certified installers must be certified to install alarms and only install components that comply with this standard.To be clear, if you install an alarm in your house using these components the alarm is not a certified alarm.

altor wrote: »
    Can you ask the seller if he can get you a certificate of conformance to the relevant standards off the manufacturer of the alarm, it should give the grade of the alarm, environmental class of the components used with this system.
    It is easy for him to say it is.

If you buy and install this alarm or any other alarm system in your own home the standard wont make any difference as you must be certified to install the alarm to the EN50131 standard. All certified installers must be certified to install alarms and only install components that comply with this standard.To be clear, if you install an alarm in your house using these components the alarm is not a certified alarm.

The seller has sent a scan of one cert of confromity and it just gave the description of the product, Model No. and the test standards used.
    I understand what you are saying about if i install the alarm myself it won't be a certified alarm but i am not worried about that as that is only a factor it you want to get a discount with your house insurance.

At the moment i have a single battery operated pir in the hallway from B+Q and that gives herself great piece of mind. And before anyone says that a montored alarm would give better piece of mind I live up a country road that is so far from the nearest garda station that santa clause would arrive before anyone else.

At the end of the day the best deterret that we have is our "puppy whoppy" as herself calls our 3 year old german shepherd.:D

Thanks again for your replys.

• Advertisement

This is the HKC one.

Advertisement