Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provisional driving licence Test

Options
  • 07-02-2011 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi, i got a question, so my Bday is at 20th April 94 and i booked a test at 2nd of March 2011.

I found out in some website that i can do my test 3 Months before my Bday and than collect it at 20th april is that true ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

believe so. Have a look on the faq on www.dtts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mobbile997uk

Hi thank you for fast replay, i looked on all those sites and nothing about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Dowdy20

I think you can get a tractor license when your 16 which is on a provisional license

when you turn 17 it then covers cars also....could be wrong i haven't looked anything up on it.

its the same theory test.

So if thay tell me i need to wait till im 17 and i choose to do a tractor and i will pass will i have to do anything when i turn 17 ? will i have to repeat the test ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I assume you mean your Theory Test?

You can do that at any age - the certificate is valid for 2 years.

So you can do the theory test whenever, and as soon as you turn 17, you can apply for your Learner Permit (which is what you think is a Provisional Licence) - you will need an eyesight report, two passport photos, proof of identification, the 15euro application fee as well as your certificate of passing the Theory Test.

So although there is no lower age limit for the theory test, in reality you can do it any age older than 15.

• Advertisement

Sorry i think you are right :D im not really in to the thing and i just dont know whats the names and all that, i booked it online friday i think and i did my passport photos and my eyes sight test and the medical one too i also have a copy of my DOB and my passport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Dowdy20

So if thay tell me i need to wait till im 17 and i choose to do a tractor and i will pass will i have to do anything when i turn 17 ? will i have to repeat the test ?

no above poster explains it well.

you do the test and if you pass the thats all its valid for two years.

the permit you get once you pass and send away the relevant documents as said above it allows you to drive a tractor when you turn 16 and a car when you turn 17.

you do not need to do another test when you 17

ok so if i do the tractor one and when i turn to 17 do i need to go to garda or motor tax office or something to get the B ticked ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

The theory test you do is valid for B (cars) and W (works vehicles, including tractors).

You can apply for a 'W' learner permit when you are 16 - so you can drive works vehicles provided you are accompanied by a driver who has held their full W licence for more than 2 years (unless the vehicle only holds one person).

When you turn 17, you will need to apply for another Learner Permit for 'B'. I'm not sure about the details, but this probably involves handing in your W learner permit, so that they are combined on one Learner Permit. You can't do the driving test until you have held your B licence for more than 6 months. Once you pass your test, you now have a full B and W licence.

Does that make sense?

I assume you mean your Theory Test?

You can do that at any age - the certificate is valid for 2 years.

So you can do the theory test whenever, and as soon as you turn 17, you can apply for your Learner Permit (which is what you think is a Provisional Licence) - you will need an eyesight report, two passport photos, proof of identification, the 15euro application fee as well as your certificate of passing the Theory Test.

So although there is no lower age limit for the theory test, in reality you can do it any age older than 15.

Yes, Thank you :)

but you said in here that i can do my B because there is no lower age limit for the theory test. (thats my last question) :D

• Advertisement

There's no lower age limit for the theory test, but you can't apply for a Learner Permit in whichever category until you meet the age requirements for that category - which for W is 16 and B is 17. The theory test certificate itself is valid for 2 years.

I'm not fully sure how it works if you apply for W first, then subsequently B, as I just went straight for B/W when I was 17 (I'm 18 now!). But I can't imagine you would have to do the theory test again - the questions are based on both B and W (I specifically remember answering questions about the power takeoff of a tractor, so W was definitely incorporated in there!).

Ok, Thank you for your help :)

No problem :) If you have any more questions, just fire away - the users of the Learning To Drive forum are extremely helpful!

Best of luck in your Theory Test :)

Advertisement