Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decomissioning Meridian 3 alarm

Options
  • 06-02-2011 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

As well as an Eircom wireless system in the house, we also have the remains of a wired one - an Itec Meridian 3 and I want to decomission it, but I don't know how to do it 'sensibly' - i.e. without setting off the alarm box outside and not be able to stop it ringing.

Most of the sensors are broken, many of them were just snipped off but not all. Apart from anything else, there are old loose wires all over the place and I reckon at some stage in the future something is going to happen to some of the loose wires and I'm going to find myself trying to turn off the alarm in the dark in the middle of the night. Obviously the alarm is not normally set, ever, but knowing my luck at some point someone will come along to the box and say "What does 0#4 do I wonder ?"

I would prefer to just decomission it now and be done with it.

My current plan consists of -
    1) cut mains power to the house
    2) open box and remove power supply (and make it safe)
    3) restore mains power

I *hope* this doesn't start the alarm box ringing. Actually, I must check outside that there still is an alarm box, but I'm pretty sure there is.

Is that all there is to it ? Is there a better way ? I have the user control panel code, but no engineer code, although the manual helpfully tells me that if the power goes and the control panel resets itself the 'master security code' will be 01122, so if there's a default engineer code for these systems I can presumably get back to the default by killing the power.

So, anyone know if there's a better way to do this, or is it just kill the power and remove the cable ?

Thanks,

z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭altor

If you turn off the mains going to the control panel plus disconnect the back up battery it will kill the alarm for good. If the mains to the control panel is connected to lights or another circuit you could see if there is a mains fuse in the control panel and disconnect this, it will allow you turn back on the mains with out the control panel getting power again. The outside bell box should ring till the battery in it runs dead. All the cables for the alarm could then be removed.

Advertisement