Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extended Warranties...Are they worth it ?

Options
  • 06-02-2011 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Just bought a Samsung 32" LCD tv this evening in DID. Took optional extended warranty for 3 years for €50 but just now wondering how useful are these warranties ? Surely if a device makes it passed the first year it should be ok.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Nononolan

The brother bought a sony x series tv in 08 and bought an extended warrenty that cost near 250.....long story short it needed a new panel which would have cost 1100 with labour (or so he was told!) so in his case the warrenty was a stroke of genius.Money well spent id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,867 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Don't buy anything made by Sony in the first place - another form of genius.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

cnocbui wrote: »
    Don't buy anything made by Sony in the first place - another form of genius.
    Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,867 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Well all the stuff I have bought from them has fallen apart or ceased to function way before I had gotten what I would consider value out of them. Out of 11 different Sony products, only one didn't fail and lasted as one would expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Nononolan wrote: »
    The brother bought a sony x series tv in 08 and bought an extended warrenty that cost near 250.....long story short it needed a new panel which would have cost 1100 with labour (or so he was told!) so in his case the warrenty was a stroke of genius.Money well spent id say.

Oh so wrong.
    If it required a new panel(screen?) within 2 or 3 years, he would have recourse anyway as it would not be deemed fit for purpose.
    Warranty aside, a new TV, esp a branded make, is expected to last for years before giving problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Nononolan

I am sure if he kicked up enough fuss he might have got it covered if it was outside warranty but surely you have more security even in this circumstance with a valid warranty?

I can't argue with what your saying as you are right.
    However, extended warranties are by and large just a means to get more money from you.
    The consumer does have rights outside of the statuary warranty period in most cases.

Having already paid for the extended warranty, there would have been no point in kicking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

Got a 5 year warranty on my 37" LED Samsung tv.

These TVs have software issues getting stuck on headphone mode and it renders the TV utterly mute except if you use a headphones with them..anyway to cut a long story short they took it away for repairs and am stuck with no TV for at least 5 days...do i have to wait or is there alternatives?...a new tv would be great as its a known issue.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

How old is the TV?

I'd say you'll have to wait to allow them to try repair it. If they can't, I'd imagine it would be replaced.

Don't know if it would be replaced with a new similar-spec model, or a reconditioned identical model (in the event they cannot fix it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Oh so wrong.
    If it required a new panel(screen?) within 2 or 3 years, he would have recourse anyway as it would not be deemed fit for purpose.
    Warranty aside, a new TV, esp a branded make, is expected to last for years before giving problems.

Wrong, the manufacturing standard is 2 years in the electronics business.The MNC's came together during the boom and decided this rubbish and called it the "consumer society" era.Laptops and Tv's were/are life tested for 2 years or X amount of hours.

Now I'm not saying your TV will die after 2 years, I'm saying the life test is for 2 years instead of 5 or 10, but you can get a warranty for 5 years because very few fail after 2 years

• Advertisement

Wrong, the manufacturing standard is 2 years in the electronics business.The MNC's came together during the boom and decided this rubbish and called it the "consumer society" era.Laptops and Tv's were/are life tested for 2 years or X amount of hours.

Now I'm not saying your TV will die after 2 years, I'm saying the life test is for 2 years instead of 5 or 10, but you can get a warranty for 5 years because very few fail after 2 years
    You've missed the point I made entirely :confused:

As a consumer you are entitled to expect that you receive a product that is fit for purpose. That includes expecting a reasonable life, not necessarily limited by the warranty period. This has been proven in Britain and i wouldn't be surprised if here too.
    Throwing in facts about how long goods are tested for is irrelevant to the consumer.
    TBH, you sound like a retailer.:)

Advertisement