Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decisions, decisions...

Options
  • 06-02-2011 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭

Ok, after being put on hold for a while, the time has come to buy a new bike.
    Firstly, my usage is fairly light, commuting 2 or 3 days a week weather permitting (10km each way), a couple of evening spins (maybe 20-25km) and a slightly longer one at weekends, again weather and mood dependent. So I've no real need for a totally high end machine but want to go a little above absolute entry level at the same time.

Now, I can use the bike to work scheme but my employer only runs it through CSS which kinda limits the choice.

I went up the other night and tried out this:
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=35&idproduct=38513
    Was pretty impressed with it and the cost after taking corporate discount into account comes in at around €915, therefore net cost to me through BTW of c€500 (give or take). Frame looks very well IMO and Tiagra is pretty decent.
    Plus there's the benefits of being able to try before I buy and of getting properly fitted etc.
    Also had a look at the Giant Defy 1 but I think this one is nicer and €150 cheaper.

However I've also been considering this:
    http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2105
    I can't use BTW for this so the total cost to me would be €999, which is about as much as I'd want to spend.
    This one is possibly the best bang for buck out there and probably a better bike, BUT I'd be unable to try it out and also be guessing a little with the fit.

My questions for the experts really would be, is it worth the extra money, at my level of riding, for the Canyon ? Would I even notice any difference between to two bikes and/or sets of components ? Is the Canyon a better long term investment ?

Does anyone have experience of riding the Roadlite and whats it like geometry/comfortwise ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭get on your bike

Personally I'd go with canyon but other looks a good deal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Why cant you use the BTW scheme for the second one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Russman

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Why cant you use the BTW scheme for the second one?

My employer will only run it through Cyclesuperstore in Tallaght unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,056 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Why not this?

Cube Peloton Bike '11
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=35&idproduct=40665

105 and a carbon fork.

Hadn't really noticed it to be honest.
    Are Cube reputable ?

• Advertisement

Russman wrote: »
    Are Cube reputable ?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

That Cube is nice. Very nice spec, even down to wheels and tyres. I reckon it's well worth the extra over the Lapierre.

There are quite a few on boards have the Roadlite, and there have been a number of recent threads on it - do a search on "Roadlite". If you really want it might be worth appealing to employer to be flexible e.g. very special bike, not sold through shops, etc. Remember, the employer benefits from you using the CTW as they save employers PRSI (over €100 on a €1000 bike, AFAIK).

That Cube is nice. Very nice spec, even down to wheels and tyres. I reckon it's well worth the extra over the Lapierre.

There are quite a few on boards have the Roadlite, and there have been a number of recent threads on it - do a search on "Roadlite". If you really want it might be worth appealing to employer to be flexible e.g. very special bike, not sold through shops, etc. Remember, the employer benefits from you using the CTW as they save employers PRSI (over €100 on a €1000 bike, AFAIK).

Good call Paul,
    Turns out they're considering allowing the use of one online supplier in addition the their arrangement with CSS so might be able to swing the Canyon.

That Cube sure looks good too, anyone have an opinion as to which would be the better between it and the Roadlite ? Or are they much of a muchness ?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dermur

Haven't heard of Roadlite but Cube make some of the best bikes coming out of Germany. Very good reputation.

dermur wrote: »
    Haven't heard of Roadlite but Cube make some of the best bikes coming out of Germany. Very good reputation.

Roadlite is a model of bike made by Canyon, who are also a German bike manfacturer of good reputation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dermur

Lumen wrote: »
    Roadlite is a model of bike made by Canyon, who are also a German bike manfacturer of good reputation.

Ah yes, I remember seeing ads for the new frame. White frame, black forks.

Is it just me or...
    147088.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I don't know, I've never tried to ride a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I don't know, I've never tried to ride a dog.

Coppers?

OP, I have a Cube, I'd certainly consider one again if I was in the market for an entry level bike. The frame is pretty comfortable for aluminium. Even though I crave something better, I still enjoy riding it. When you have a bit of extra cash swap out the wheels, makes a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mookie2007

lukester wrote: »
    Coppers?

OP, I have a Cube, I'd certainly consider one again if I was in the market for an entry level bike. The frame is pretty comfortable for aluminium. Even though I crave something better, I still enjoy riding it. When you have a bit of extra cash swap out the wheels, makes a huge difference.

Hilarious - nearly choked on my coffee reading this. So true :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

get a cube on BTW from CSS. Lovely bikes, much nicer than the lapierres

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Russman wrote: »
    Good call Paul,
    Turns out they're considering allowing the use of one online supplier in addition the their arrangement with CSS so might be able to swing the Canyon.
    Bare in mind that Canyon will have to zero the VAT when selling the bike to your employer. As German VAT is at 19% whilst Irish VAT is at 21% this means that you employer will effectively be buying a bike that is over the €1000 euro threshold (by about €16) and according to the revenue.ie this would have to go down as a BIK. How accommodating would your employer be regarding this? You could offer to lodge the BIK back into your employer's account. This is what I did for my online BTW purchase.

lukester wrote: »
    Even though I crave something better, I still enjoy riding it.

Hope thats the bike you're referring to and not the dog (from Coppers or otherwise)...........:D

In all seriousness, I'll probably go with the Cube Lumen linked to, €1,200 less corporate discount comes in at €1,050 before BTW, more or less the same as the Canyon (incl shipping). There doesn't seem to be a whole lot between the two and I can't really imagine I'd be missing out on anything by not getting the Canyon ahead of it, and I'd have the benefit of a proper fitting and 4 week post purchase service.

Advertisement