Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gary Moore RIP

Options
  • 06-02-2011 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Smiley Bolger just posted a message on his Facebook page saying Gary Moore passed away a few hours ago in Spain RIP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Cant believe it - one of the legends of Irish music. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Cant believe it - one of the legends of Irish music. RIP

Yes he was great. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

RIP - Unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭Rigsby

R.I.P. Gary. I wonder if he had been ill, or was his death sudden ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Very sad. So young.
    My prayers are with his family.

A true Irish hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I posted elsewhere but what the hell , he deserves it.

Gary was one of the main reasons I started playing.
    He was an amazing talent and will be sorely missed.

RIP Gary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,856 ✭✭✭squonk

I was shocked when I heard this just before 5 yesterday. He was a great guitarist and his music was part of the soundtrack to my teenage years. Sad to see a legend pass away before his time like this. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Wild frontier = perfect album.

Shocking shocking news.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I found the news of Gary Moore's death quite shocking. He was still a relatively young man to die and it came like a bolt out of the blue.

Gary was of course a gifted guitarist and unique in his style. I particularly remember his solo work and his collaborations with Phil Lynott. The songs that stuck out for me were "Out in the Fields" (with Phil), "Parisienne Walkways" (vocals by Phil), "Empty Rooms" and "Still Got the Blues". I bought the album "Still Got The Blues", which is Gary's exploration of the blues - the standout track is the aforementioned title track, but there are some good upbeat numbers like "Texas Strut".

Much has been said, quite rightly, about his guitarwork, with Thin Lizzy, Skid Row and post-Lizzy. One aspect of Gary Moore that I did not see or hear mentioned anywhere was his singing. Gary was quite an accomplished singer... overshadowed by his musical ability.

I think I read somewhere that, when Phil Lynott left Skid Row, Gary took over the vocal duties. His lead vocals stand out on "Out in the Fields" - the first time I really noticed his voice. If you listen carefully to Parisenne Walkways", you hear Gary singing in the background. In fact, he sung on most of his own solo stuff AFAIK. I just remembered another of his hits - "Over the Hills and Far Away" - not one of his better songs, but there is that guitar sound again.
    For me, his best vocal performances are on "Empty Rooms" and "Still Got the Blues" - bluesy and soulful. These two songs make you feel a a bit sad now, when you hear them.

So, in these first two months of 2011, Ireland lost two very unique talents (in slightly different genres) in Paul Ashford and Gary Moore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

RIP Gary.
    an absolute legend, savage guitarist. I never got to see him live and have been looking the past few years for an Irish gig

anyone I know that saw him play said he was a great live performer.
    he will be sadly missed

Advertisement