Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Primera

Options
  • 06-02-2011 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Going to look at an 04 Nissan Primera 1.6 tomo, can anyone tell me what to look out for with them and what type of MPG i should get with one..

Really like them to drive and hopefully without any probs this should be the one for me....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

marlie2005 wrote: »
    Going to look at an 04 Nissan Primera 1.6 tomo, can anyone tell me what to look out for with them and what type of MPG i should get with one..

Really like them to drive and hopefully without any probs this should be the one for me....

I was looking for one last year.
    Was thinking about 1.6 as that is the most popular eninge in them in Ireland.
    But unfortunately when I test drove one, I realized 1.6 is a joke in this car.
    Car itself weights 1300kg, and 1.6 is just not powerful enough.

Then I started to look for 1.8 or 2.0 but there seems to be very few of them in Ireland. The ones I've seen were crap.
    I finally ended going up to NI to buy one. It's 1.8 petrol
    Found great example from 1 owener with low mileage, in perfect condition. But this was extra cost - anyway after 7 months and 20k kms I can clearly say it was worth it.

Fuel consumption on 1.8 is about 6 to 7 litres/100km on country roads, about 8 l/100km on motorway at 120km/h, about 9 to 10 l/100km city driving, and about 14 l/100km on motorway at 180km/h.

With 1.6 it's probably similar, except from motorway where consumption will be bigger due to too small engine.

Both 1.6 and 1.8 sometimes have problems with burning too much oil.
    There's not really much you can do about it. Just check it regulary and top it up. My takes about 1l per 8000km.

Suspension is not the greatest. In mine I recently done front ball joints, antiroll-bar links, and steering rod ends. They went after 70k mls mileage, but mostly due to driving on roads full of potholes recently.

Besides car is great, and really reliable. Engine is on timing chain, which you most likely will not need to change for the whole life of the car.

Avoid diesels, as they are renault engines and are not really great.
    I'd advice petrol 1.8 or 2.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭marlie2005

Thanks CiniO for the detailed report.. Didn't know that a 1.8 lt in that model excisted, but the 06 one is out of my budget,,
    Basically what i'm looking for is :
    Something that starts in the morning,
    won't cost an arm and a leg to maintain and run
    and something i can get a few years out of until i can afford to upgrade to a very newer car..
    Also I only drive about 10,000 miles a year on country roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Faulty window regulators are common problems on those Primeras. Gearboxes and timing chains can also give trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

An avensis 1.8 would be worth a look. Or a mondeo zetec

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Or a Mazda 6.

Advertisement