Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apache, dyndns, home server

Options
  • 06-02-2011 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I am setting up an old computer as a home server, i set up my dyndns host name and download apache HTTP server software.
    When i set up the dyndns page name and the dyndns update and run the apache program, when i type in localhost it keeps bringing me to my router log on page... what going wrong?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Where do you want access you apache server from, your lan, outside or both?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭martin g

Where do you want access you apache server from, your lan, outside or both?

From my LAN at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

your router has the web access on port 80 (as the apache). Change the port (or disable) the web access for router or change the port for apache in config (8080 or something else). Make sure that apache is running as service.
    On the other hand i will suggest you to use some easy-to-install-and-configure package as XAMPP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

First of all get apache working, so forget about dyndns for a minute.
    1. To do that, open up a command prompt and browse to whatever directory has apache installed.
    2. Go to the bin folder, and run httpd.exe
    3. See if any errors appear, if they do google them or ask here for help getting them resolved.
    4. Once you have no errors, then open another command prompt window.
    5. Ping your localhost, make sure the IP address you get is 127.0.0.1.
    6. If it isnt, check your C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file, see what IP address it has for localhost. Change it back to 127.0.0.1
    7. Ping localhost again and see if you get 127.0.0.1 now as your IP address.
    8. Yes, go to your web browser and open up localhost again, and see if you get the message "It Works!"

If you get this far, get back to me, and we can get dyndns sorted then afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭martin g

Im having real problems here... my default gateway is not showing up now every time i turn on my computer i have to unplug it and let it search for a new default gateway... i tried to assign static ips but that didnt help either... any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

On the other hand i will suggest you to use some easy-to-install-and-configure package as XAMPP.

I would suggest using the software that this previous poster suggested. It installs apache, php and a couple of other bits n pieces.
    Skip trying to install Apache on your home server. this software is great!
    With this software then ,your Gateway would be your local host. i.e. 127.0.0.1
    you wouldn't even need Dyn-Dns if your only accessing it locally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭noshankus

If you want to test your Apache installation, here are some simple steps:

1) Disconnect from your LAN
    2) Before starting up Apache, point your browser at: http://127.0.0.1 - Nothing should happen except you'll get a timeout. You can confirm this by running your command prompt (Start -> run -> cmd)and running the command:
    telnet 127.0.0.1 80
    3) Start up Apache
    4) Again, point your browser at http://127.0.0.1 - You should see the default "It works!" Apache page. If you want, confirm again by running the telnet command on your command prompt (it should connect).

If the above doesn't work, you'll need to fix that issue before involving your LAN and finally dyndns.

Advertisement