Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Carina E idling problem

Options
  • 06-02-2011 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Firstly and if you happen to be reading many thanks to all who assisted me with my brake imbalance problem for NCT a few months back. Yer advice and comments were very much appreciated and paid dividends in the end.

I have another problem with my carina E, allbeit a less pressing one that some of ye may hopefully be able to assist me on this time round. The engine revs very highly when the car is cold, over 2,000rpm. I appreciate that the the automatic choke should be doing its thing when the engine is cold and the mixture would be richer but all the same I think 2,000rpm is perhaps still on the high side of what one would expect. Also when the engine is at full operating temperature and I come to a standstill in traffic the engine could idle at any speed between 500rpm and nearly up to 2,000rpm at times, it hit and miss really. Then if I dab the pedal and let the engine idle again it may (may not) settle down to 500rpm again if it was idling above 1,000rpm that time.

The engine is the 1.6 litre, 16 valve, 4A-FE. I see from doing a search that somebody is experiencing a similar problem with a corolla 4A-FE but think their problem seems to be purely when the engine is cold and idling higher than expected so their issue may be somewhat different to mine. Didn't want to hijack their thread either!

I'm sort of thinking idle control valve after doing my bit of googling but could be wrong too so thats why I'm asking ye folks for some advice. I don't have a clue on the location of the idle control valve or what it looks like on the Carina E. If anybody could advice me on what the problem potentially is and how I'd go about checking/ fixing it that would be most appreciated. I'll attack a lot of jobs on the car myself but if it involves tiny little springs flying around the place, no thanks! Not in a serious panic to fix it this time round but with the price at the pumps the sooner I get it rectified the better all the same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

john.west wrote: »
    Firstly and if you happen to be reading many thanks to all who assisted me with my brake imbalance problem for NCT a few months back. Yer advice and comments were very much appreciated and paid dividends in the end.

I have another problem with my carina E, allbeit a less pressing one that some of ye may hopefully be able to assist me on this time round. The engine revs very highly when the car is cold, over 2,000rpm. I appreciate that the the automatic choke should be doing its thing when the engine is cold and the mixture would be richer but all the same I think 2,000rpm is perhaps still on the high side of what one would expect. Also when the engine is at full operating temperature and I come to a standstill in traffic the engine could idle at any speed between 500rpm and nearly up to 2,000rpm at times, it hit and miss really. Then if I dab the pedal and let the engine idle again it may (may not) settle down to 500rpm again if it was idling above 1,000rpm that time.

The engine is the 1.6 litre, 16 valve, 4EFE. I see from doing a search that somebody is experiencing a similar problem with a corolla 4EFE but think their problem seems to be purely when the engine is cold and idling higher than expected so their issue may be somewhat different to mine. Didn't want to hijack their thread either!

I'm sort of thinking idle control valve after doing my bit of googling but could be wrong too so thats why I'm asking ye folks for some advice. I don't have a clue on the location of the idle control valve or what it looks like on the Carina E. If anybody could advice me on what the problem potentially is and how I'd go about checking/ fixing it that would be most appreciated. I'll attack a lot of jobs on the car myself but if it involves tiny little springs flying around the place, no thanks! Not in a serious panic to fix it this time round but with the price at the pumps the sooner I get it rectified the better all the same.

I'd try to take off the airfilter housing, take it off and get a bit of spray carb cleaner down the butterfly valve, its probably gumed up with ****e. I know i had the problem with mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭john.west

Many thanks I was VB. That sounds not too bad if its that simple. Mind you won't be doing anything to it today with the lashing rain, but will certainly try first chance I get. I'd be very pleased if that sorted my problem.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

As far as I know I think the ICV is below the throttle body, you could clean it, but no guarantee it will do anything.Might need to replace it if that's what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Should be a 4A-FE in a carina E methinks.

I'd say you're right Nissan Doctor.This pic is taken from an Avensis 1.6 which is roughly the same I think, apart from the dizzy in the Carina.

olympusfe210304.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

The 4E engines were only in starlet/corolla/liteace etc and never came in 1.6L.

4a-fe 1600cc, 7a-fe 1800cc, 3s-fe 2000cc. and a 2c which was the wonderfull 2000cc non-turbo diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

There was also the 3SGE GTi version as well. Never seen one but they do exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭john.west

jimmyw wrote: »
    As far as I know I think the ICV is below the throttle body, you could clean it, but no guarantee it will do anything.Might need to replace it if that's what it is.

Thanks jimmyw, is cleaning it or replacing it a job a reasonably talented diy'er could complete do you know, is there a lot of ripping involved?
    Should be a 4A-FE in a carina E methinks.

Thaking you Nissan doctor. You are spot on. I will edit my opening post accordignly.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    There was also the 3SGE GTi version as well. Never seen one but they do exist.

Yea they were the N/A 2.0 of a Celica GT.

• Advertisement

john.west wrote: »
    Thanks jimmyw, is cleaning it or replacing it a job a reasonably talented diy'er could complete do you know, is there a lot of ripping involved?

Just thinking :P,Well I remember I tried to remove this on the avensis, but at the time I didn't know what it was.The screws were an absolute b...... pig and I ended up breaking it and had to change the whole throttle body which it is part of It I think.But changing that I thought was one of the most easiest jobs I ever did on a car, dead easy.

Advertisement