Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with home security

Options
  • 06-02-2011 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

I live at home with my parents in ther 60's and they went to wexford with my brother for the weekend because they have a house there.

I stayed with the girlfriend last night and when i cam home this morning there was 4 pry marks on the front foor where someone tried to break in.

As my parents spend most of the week on their own as i stay with the missus most nights, i want to look at making the house more secure.

Can anyone advise me on what to do? Whats the best alarm i can get thats not going to cost millions and if there is any other tips to help me i would appreciate it.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

There's a home security forum that will probably give you some better answers than here. They seem to know their stuff over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭managerman

i installed an alarm in a house last week, was an old house, so didnt want to have cables everywhere, so i just put the keypad in the hall and a couple of sensors in the hall pointing to the front door and in the kitchen pointing to the back door and one pointing down the stairs, no blocks on the windows but the sensors are good enough, all on separate lines in the panel, so you can adjust the sensors on when you want to turn the alarm on, as when your going to bed etc.. all in all i charged 300euro to do it, just labour.. alarm would probably cost 150/200

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

managerman wrote: »
    no blocks on the windows but the sensors are good enough
    Except that the intruder will have to be in your home before he sets off the PIRs (motion detectors). Also the areas covered by the PIRs will be "out of bounds" to the house occupants if they want to set the alarm while they are at home which is statistically more lightly to be the time that it is burgled.

By "blocks" I assume that you mean inertia shock sensors
    all in all i charged 300euro to do it, just labour.. alarm would probably cost 150/200
    Yes, but I don't think this is a fair comparison. A full alarm system would be much more comprehensive.

Having said that I am sure that what you have done has increased the level of security and represents good value for money.

BTW, I dont install alarms before anyone asks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭altor

all in all i charged 300euro to do it, just labour.. alarm would probably cost 150/200

I hope you supplied the customer with a cert for the alarm also.

Interesting reading here if not :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

i installed an alarm in a house last week, was an old house, so didnt want to have cables everywhere, so i just put the keypad in the hall and a couple of sensors in the hall pointing to the front door and in the kitchen pointing to the back door and one pointing down the stairs, no blocks on the windows but the sensors are good enough, all on separate lines in the panel, so you can adjust the sensors on when you want to turn the alarm on, as when your going to bed etc.. all in all i charged 300euro to do it, just labour.. alarm would probably cost 150/200

Can you confirm you are PSA licenced?

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    Can you confirm you are PSA licenced?

yes and fully qualified and insured!

altor wrote: »
    I hope you supplied the customer with a cert for the alarm also.

Interesting reading here if not :rolleyes:

indeed i did... i aint no cowboy.. but i know where your coming from in asking tho

2011 wrote: »
    Except that the intruder will have to be in your home before he sets off the PIRs (motion detectors). Also the areas covered by the PIRs will be "out of bounds" to the house occupants if they want to set the alarm while they are at home which is statistically more lightly to be the time that it is burgled.

By "blocks" I assume that you mean inertia shock sensors

Yes, but I don't think this is a fair comparison. A full alarm system would be much more comprehensive.

Having said that I am sure that what you have done has increased the level of security and represents good value for money.

BTW, I dont install alarms before anyone asks!

ye i do mean the sensors... i just call them blocks... it was a solution as its an old house and the lady didnt want me pulling up floor boards or anything like that, or loads of cables hanging around in view

indeed i did... i aint no cowboy.. but i know where your coming from in asking tho

Hope so as it is an offence to employ a non registered installer to install an alarm. Whats your PSA number ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

2011 is correct - you want to protect the perimeter - prevent entry.
    PIR's will only activate after someone is already in your gaff.

• Advertisement

Hope so as it is an offence to employ a non registered installer to install an alarm. Whats your PSA number ?

you like my pps number 2?

stoneill wrote: »
    2011 is correct - you want to protect the perimeter - prevent entry.
    PIR's will only activate after someone is already in your gaff.

oh i know.. i would rather that myself, but as i said it was an old house, place would fall apart.. she just wanted a bit of security is all

you like my pps number 2?

No, just your PSA number. If you have one whats the problem :confused:

No, just your PSA number. If you have one whats the problem :confused:

i do have one... i dont give out any information on the net.. would you?

i do have one... i dont give out any information on the net.. would you?

PSA NUMBER 01860. I am a registered installer. Your number will be on the PSA website if you are registered.

PSA NUMBER 01860. I am a registered installer. Your number will be on the PSA website if you are registered.

well done mate... but i dont give information out on the net.. there is a thread im following about a guy been banned from driving for 5 years... name is on it, one user looked him mate up on google and wala.. everyone knows who he is now.. not gonna be me.. sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

well done mate... but i dont give information out on the net.. there is a thread im following about a guy been banned from driving for 5 years... name is on it, one user looked him mate up on google and wala.. everyone knows who he is now.. not gonna be me.. sorry

Voila

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Well if you are licenced your information is on the net anyway.
    If you do not wish to confirm you are licenced then we have to presume you are not.If that's the case you are acting illegally and I would be advising people not to be involved with you. Please read the charter and do not post here as an installer again until you are willing to verify you are licenced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭skar

KoolKid wrote: »

If you do not wish to confirm you are licenced then we have to presume you are not
    I think he has the right not to tell (here) is he licensed or not. There is organizations around the country who get paid for this job. :rolleyes:
    License stuff is marketing these days, if we pay to somebody then doesn't matter we are good or not.

PSA licencing is a legal requirement for both the installer and the customer.If he is posting about installing alarms and is not licenced he is breaking the law and so is the person he installs for.
    If he is licenced his information is already on the net, so I dont accept his excuse.
    We can not have people here posting about illegal activity.
    If you wish to discuss this further please PM me.
    Discussion of moderator decisions on thread is not allowed.

• Advertisement

lads this is all gone a bit out of control.. i have a right not to discuss my details on here.. i am licenced and i am on the net, but i dont want anyone to know my name, im sorry..

am i wrong not to want people to know who i am?

This is running off topic.
    Ill send you a pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

bungler wrote: »
    I live at home with my parents in ther 60's and they went to wexford with my brother for the weekend because they have a house there.

I stayed with the girlfriend last night and when i cam home this morning there was 4 pry marks on the front foor where someone tried to break in.

As my parents spend most of the week on their own as i stay with the missus most nights, i want to look at making the house more secure.

Can anyone advise me on what to do? Whats the best alarm i can get thats not going to cost millions and if there is any other tips to help me i would appreciate it.

Cheers

Your bets bet would be to get a few licensed companies around to quote you.
    Alternatively add some extra locks to your doors

Advertisement