Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Banned from driving for 5 years

Options
  • 06-02-2011 3:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

hi can anyone help me
    just over two years ago i was banned from driving for 5 years
    and want to try and get back on as early as i can
    does anyone know anything about it

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Thankfully (given your other post), you have improved your method of posting so that foul language isn't required!

Contact a solicitor and discuss any reasons for having the ban removed and see if they are mitigating circumstances but don't hold your breath.
    However, 5 years? Sounds like it was something bad and for this expect zero sympathy from myself or most folk on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭pcardin

I know. A bit less than 3y and you'll be back on the road. Time flies fast... :)

Just out off curiosity how did you get your 5y ban?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

kbannon wrote: »
    Thankfully (given your other post), you have improved your method of posting so that foul language isn't required!

Contact a solicitor and discuss any reasons for having the ban removed and see if they are mitigating circumstances but don't hold your breath.
    However, 5 years? Sounds like it was something bad and for this expect zero sympathy from myself or most folk on here.
    bit harsh? the op hasnt even said why he was banned, hopefully he has learned his lesson and is here lookin for some advice hope pepople give you a 2nd chance if you ever make a mistake

bit harsh? the op hasnt even said why he was banned, hopefully he has learned his lesson and is here lookin for some advice hope pepople give you a 2nd chance if you ever make a mistake
    Years of experience on here have demonstrated this lack of sympathy towards people who get banned!

You don't get 5 years for nothing! If you do then take the hit and don't come on an internet forum after two years looking for the punishment to be revoked.

However, I did give him advice.
    I too have made mistakes. I didn't try to get out of the punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Years of experience on here have demonstrated this lack of sympathy towards people who get banned!

You don't get 5 years for nothing! If you do then take the hit and don't come on an internet forum after two years looking for the punishment to be revoked.

However, I did give him advice.
    I too have made mistakes. I didn't try to get out of the punishment.

Just because he got banned for 5 years doesn't mean it was his fault. I know someone involved in a crash that got a driving ban. Lately he got a letter saying the rear axle of the vehicle he was driving was at faulty. So you really should think before making statements like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

id imagine its a ban for drink or drugs???my mate got a six year ban for being caught smoking pot(got caught twice) but if he didnt get into any trouble in 4 years it would be up for rethink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    Just because he got banned for 5 years doesn't mean it was his fault. I know someone involved in a crash that got a driving ban. Lately he got a letter saying the rear axle of the vehicle he was driving was at faulty. So you really should think before making statements like that.

driving a faulty vehicle might warrant a ban though Id say. Depends on the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

corktina wrote: »
    driving a faulty vehicle might warrant a ban though Id say. Depends on the circumstances.

That's like saying that everyone that bought a new Toyota last year should get banned. How was he supposed to know if it was a fault from factory?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

id imagine its a ban for drink or drugs???

Could be a ban for a range of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

I wonder what the 25 year olds name is..........

If I'm right, you've lots of time left. So a few more years wont hurt.

Get a solicitor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

Could be a ban for a range of things.

id could be i wont argue that bit,but 5 years is at the higher end of the scale in terms of seriousness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

do you mind not deciding on whether to apply my sympathy or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    That's like saying that everyone that bought a new Toyota last year should get banned. How was he supposed to know if it was a fault from factory?

"Depends on the circumstances". :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Get a solicitor who has experience in the area. It's not as if you're going to divulge all the relevant details here and we're not in a position to give what would be legal advice based on them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

john47832 wrote: »

kbannon is right though - there's no point in the op posting about his ban as it'll just lead to a flood of moral outrage postings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Have to love google, that is all im saying.

Your insurance will be massive once your ban is lifted too. Expect quotes in excess of €3000 and most companies will refuse to insure you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Must be the name. There's someone with the same name as the OP with a 10 year ban following two previous bans, and fleeing the scene of a hit and run. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Have to love google, that is all im saying.

Your insurance will be massive once your ban is lifted too. Expect quotes in excess of €3000 and most companies will refuse to insure you.

Ya google is good delta kilo I owe you a drink or 20

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

hi can anyone help me
    just over two years ago i was banned from driving for 5 years
    and want to try and get back on as early as i can
    does anyone know anything about it

it's the way you phrased it: "get back on as early as i can.." - you make it sound like a race, like a Le Mans or sorts. Take your punishment and learn the lesson is my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

I would much prefer the OP to serve the whole ban then try and get him/her back on the road before their punishment is up.

Though, advice here is valid. Getting a solicitor to work out the finer points of it all would be needed.

With any luck, and I am being petty here, the financial cost of that will only result in being told that the full 5 years have to be done.

I cant imagine anything that isn't that bad which would result in a 5 year ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

OP - If you are the same person that an irish modified car enthusiast website have a thread about then I have no sympathy for you and feel your ban is 100% justified , If however it is not I would still say you had to do something to get a 10 5 year ban :rolleyes: go talk to a solicitor , not keyboard warriors, you will receive very little help though , Id say your insurance is already mental, your pockets will need to get deeper

IBTL on this one , May go down as an epic thread..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

If you are the dude involved in the hit and run then 10 years is good enough for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭maidhc

You are entitled to apply to get your licence back if you have served 1/2. It can be reduced by 1/3 at the discretion of the court.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

5 years sounds like the ban one would get for driving a stolen car or driving without insurance......... or drifting :)

You picked the wrong Judge to annoy, and I'd bet money he won't change his mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Is your name "Most folk"?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

@ OP,
    Did you own a Dark Blue Civic one time??

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭managerman

no sympathy if it was a hit and run... friend of mine was in a hit and run couple of years back... destroyed peoples lives

Where did I suggest that I was offering your sympathy?
    if you could re-read my post you will see that I referred to "most folk" which coincidentally given the way this thread has gone, appears to have been the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

kbannon is right though - there's no point in the op posting about his ban as it'll just lead to a flood of moral outrage postings.

kbannon is not right - he just seen an opportunity to jump on moral high ground and up he went - along with "most people"

op was asking for advice on how to go about a legal procedure to which he is entitled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

kbannon is not right - he just seen an opportunity to jump on moral high ground and up he went - along with "most people"

op was asking for advice on how to go about a legal procedure to which he is entitled

boards is not a legal advice forum, its a huge opinions and 'down the pub style information' section , everyone in here is giving their opinion and as kbannon gave his / predicted , most of us have a fairly low opinion of what the OP did and want to see his ban enforced in full

Advertisement