Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridges in areas of natural beauty

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 QuimWedge

I seem to remember there being mixed feelings about the sky bridge when they first built that back in 1995. I don't think it was an area of natural beauty but I could be wrong. It differs in one major aspect: it directly benefits the local community

Obviously the local residents are unhappy as the rail link will not directly benefit them. Therefore I would look more closely at the motives the opposition have, do they really have the best interests of the environment at heart?

Then of course you need to consider what the actual benefits are: Do we really need to be able to travel from Birmingham to London 10 minutes faster? What economic value can be attributed to those extra ten minutes? Clearly these are questions of economics and not engineering.

For me I see a large scale investment in the country's infrastructure. Which is even harder to put a value on. I think we need to put a bigger emphasis on legacy when we are talking about large projects like this as it is only too easy to carried away with the numbers directly in front of us.

Sorry, getting a bit carried away...

Advertisement