Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mercedes E200

Options
  • 06-02-2011 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Looking over the merc range there and was reminded that the entry level E-Class, the E200 CDI, only puts out 134bhp:eek: Do you think that this is a bit ridiculous as for approx the same money it's up against the 5 series with 184bhp and the new A6 which will have 177bhp.

I also noticed that there's huge difference in their spec pricing also, i.e. classic to elegance to sport.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you're into horsepower then yeah. 134 bhp is plenty to get you where you're going though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Is it that low for a diesel?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

It exists for tex reasons in other countries... tbh BMW have the march on emissions - which is more interesting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

All most E Class owners care about is the 3 pointed star on the front of the bonnet. Everything else for them is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

A merc owner friend never test drove the car he bought. He just wanted a merc, bhp was not going to alter his thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The W124 200D had all of 72 (later 75) PS :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Its not so long ago that 130 bhp passats were regarded as weapons. Audi are still offering around 140 bhp A6. new model will be welcome with 177 as standard. Mercedes have the option of adjusting pricing against these models or even not offering the 200 for next year.

Given that the 200, 220 & 250 are pretty much the same ( I believe its turbo/tuning levels that differ, it wouldnt have been a bit cost to mercedes to offer the 200 option so they could easily drop it too.

The biggest shame IMO is that these are 4 cylinder. given that few owners will go higher than the 250 cdi, that means that nearly all the diesels sold will be 4 cylinder compared to the old model that offered many 6 cylinder options.

Also the quirky design means IMO that only the sport or the avantgarde looks good. The basic versions look terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I'd imagine the E220 CDi would be more comparable to those cars you mention. The E200 probably slots in below and rivals the likes of the 140bhp A6 TDI.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭what recession?

RedorDead wrote: »
    All most E Class owners care about is the 3 pointed star on the front of the bonnet. Everything else for them is irrelevant.
    As an E-class owner, yes that is true.. but do you really think that the majority of middle-aged executives shelling out 50k-ish, who are going to drive their cars around in traffic jams or within 60km/hr speed limits, are actually going to pick a 5-series (the new model of which i despise) over an E-Class because it has 50% more horsepower? I don't think I'll be moving over to the 5-series because of it anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Sat through a really interesting focus group of E Class owners last week talking about cars and owning Mercs and they were unreal.

In summary - my car breaks down a lot and i hate my dealer but its a M-B and thats why i keep buying it. Real insecurity issues with them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement