Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you answer my question

Options
  • 06-02-2011 2:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

If there is another forum like this out there please re-direct me

Like me there might be more people out who dont know everthing about american fooball so someone might be able to answer general question about the game.

First question is:
    There is about 50 lads on an american football squad i think. What happens the lads who dont make the cut. Do they just go home and get a job and try again next season? With my basic knowledge of the game i think playing with a College football team is like the main way to get selected by draft to get to play in the NFL but is there like a profissional Division 1 league like there is in soccer for players who dont make the cut? What would the quality of this league be like?

Another Question:
    How the hell does the ranking system work. The Pats finished with .883 last season? Is it pretty much the same system as college football?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

Mulcahy wrote: »

Like me there might be more people out who dont know everthing about american fooball so someone might be able to answer general question about the game.

First question is:
    There is about 50 lads on an american football squad i think. What happens the lads who dont make the cut. Do they just go home and get a job and try again next season? With my basic knowledge of the game i think playing with a College football team is like the main way to get selected by draft to get to play in the NFL but is there like a profissional Division 1 league like there is in soccer for players who dont make the cut? What would the quality of this league be like?

Another Question:
    How the hell does the ranking system work. The Pats finished with .883 last season? Is it pretty much the same system as college football?

Pertaining to your first question: Yep, there's about 53 I think in the NFL Rosters. The guys who get cut are gone. They can hang around as Free Agents or if the team they were originally signed to train with like them they might be kept around on the practice squad.
    There's an indoor league which is gaining in popularity and the name completely escapes me for the moment. It's a kind of Fifa Street version of the game. A few ex-NFL players go there for the craic.

I've managed to find a page on the Passer Ratings system on Wiki: Link So I'm guessing if you root around a bit you'll get a full explanation. It's based on a whole sh1tload of factors in any case!

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Mulcahy wrote: »

First question is:

Another Question:

They either try again or play in smaller leagues like the UFL or CFL, some get jobs, depends really

Basically the division winners in each conference are seeded from 1 to 4 from best record to worst. Then the best runner up and 2nd best runner up follow in the 5 and 6 wildcard slots. Theoretically a 5 or 6 seed could finish with a better record than a division winner but be lower seeded. This happened this year for example when the 7-9 Seattle Seahawks won the NFC west and got the 4th seed in the NFC while the 11-5 Saints and 10-6 Packers were 5 and 6 seeds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I's an exclusive club, being an NFL player. Of the millions of kids growing up playing the sport, at any given time there will be less than 2,000 paid NFL players.

If you slip the net, and fall into the lower leagues, your chances of survival are minimal. Although guys like Kurt warner, who twice had to prove he was good enough for the NFL (and twice just about proved the NFL was barely good enough for him) can bounce back, it's rare. The kid in college who becomes a neuro-surgeon, or a nuclear physicist is less elite than the jock who makes it to the NFL.

The win formula is simple. It's games won divided by games played. American sports rarely end in draws, so this system works better than it would in, say, the English premier league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Regarding the practice squad players, each team is only allowed 8 (or maybe 9, can't remember which) of these and they get paid about $4,500 a week and they don't get paid in the off-season. They aren't allowed tog-out for games though unless they are promoted to the active roster (first 53 players) in place of someone.

However as the practice squad players are also free agents so can be signed at any time by any of the other teams, this promotion is rarely done, unless there is a permanent vacancy on the active roster, e.g. is someone is placed on Injured reserve (i.e. out for the whole season). They wouldn't promote someone from the practice squad to replace an injured player who would only be out for a couple of weeks as the injured player could then e snaped u by opponents

Advertisement