Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anybody got a raid system goin on?

Options
  • 06-02-2011 2:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

I've got 3 spare ex hd and was lookin into gettin a raid system goin to protect my main hd

is there any boards heads using raid that might advise of the benefits and does it use much processing? i use mine for music production so can hog at least 3gm of ram at times

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

No I dont use it but if I had three spare drives I would use it quick-smart especially if you are doing any work you really dont want to lose or cant waste time backing up and transferring back over etc.

http://www.prepressure.com/library/technology/raid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

What machine are you trying to put this into? If it's the mac pro, I've a RAID card that I'm not using and 2x10k RPM sas disks. The problem was that you couldn't put the machine to sleep if you had the controller in it, and I wasn't using it as a server, so I thought it better to have the machine going to sleep every night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭whoopdedoo

Rulmeq wrote: »
    What machine are you trying to put this into? If it's the mac pro, I've a RAID card that I'm not using and 2x10k RPM sas disks. The problem was that you couldn't put the machine to sleep if you had the controller in it, and I wasn't using it as a server, so I thought it better to have the machine going to sleep every night.

it a 2009 iMac but to be honest I don't have the USB ports or the ram to run a raid so I'll stick to timemachine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Check out Drobo. Expensive raid enclosures but don't have the limitations of raid as they use their own BeyondRAID tech.

D link also sell a cheap raid enclosure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I got a Drobo FS about a month ago and I'm delighted with it. I know it was a lot to shell on a unit with no storage out of the box but I love the fact that I can expand the size of the array without having to rebuild.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

SickBoy wrote: »
    I got a Drobo FS about a month ago and I'm delighted with it. I know it was a lot to shell on a unit with no storage out of the box but I love the fact that I can expand the size of the array without having to rebuild.

What you think of the fan noise? I heard it's a problem and that there is no standby/sleep mode when idle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭meep

check out unraid.

You can build build a parity-protected raid system from an old pc, thrown in hds of any size, replace or expand as you go, speed the system up with a dedicated cache drive.

It's free for 3 drives and has a great community

latest version (v5beta4) has support for AFP so it can work as a time machine server as well.

http://www.lime-technology.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭whoopdedoo

wow thanks for all the great advice, looks like the lime crew are the ones to run with for sure!

don't know about committing to the beta just yet but will defo look into it a bit more in the morn

What you think of the fan noise? I heard it's a problem and that there is no standby/sleep mode when idle.

It's fine and there is standby/sleep mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭meep

whoopdedoo wrote: »
    wow thanks for all the great advice, looks like the lime crew are the ones to run with for sure!

don't know about committing to the beta just yet but will defo look into it a bit more in the morn

Beta is certainly Beta and AFP support just came in 5b3 so it's not fully tested, though it seems pretty stable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

I'm running OpenFiler with Raid 5 / iSCSI target.
    If you feel like doing a little hacking around you can use it as a time machine too ;-)

I ran 200 Virtual desktops of it succesfully!
    Edit: with RAID10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

SickBoy wrote: »
    What kind of transfer speeds are you getting with it?

~30 MB/s

Advertisement