Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting and Clothes

Options
  • 06-02-2011 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Ok i'm seriously considering cycling into work and back home when the mornings get a bit brighter. It'd be a 50 odd km commute there and back. Plan would be to wear cycling gear and bring a change of clothes with me, can have a shower in work.

My question is what's the craic on the return trip ? ie. do u bring a second set of cycling clothes or do u spray loads of deodorant and wear the same clothes u wore in the morning ?

If it's any help the cycling clothes would have to be left in a small locker all day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I reckon the only thing the deodorant will do is irritate your skin, no need for it if you cycling home unless your trying to impress a lolly pop lady en route.
    Tbh I'd say as long as there're not wet and uncomfortable just put them back on. After a commute like that whether you whiff a bit or not will be the last thing on your mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

I reckon the only thing the deodorant will do is irritate your skin, no need for it if you cycling home unless your trying to impress a lolly pop lady en route.

Well i'm a happily married man here so the lolly pop lady will just have to find someone else :D
    Tbh I'd say as long as there're not wet and uncomfortable just put them back on. After a commute like that whether you whiff a bit or not will be the last thing on your mind

See now this is the thing, no matter which way i go i'm gonna have to go up some sorta hill which is gonna make me sweaty, can vary the route depending on how sweaty i want to get, so i'm thinking me sweating, wet clothes lying in a locker for 8 hrs = very very unpleasant smell and not a lolly pop lady in sight !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Zorba wrote: »
    very very unpleasant smell

HTFU

abcdggs wrote: »
    HTFU

LOL

had to google to find the meaning and yes u do have a good point ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 DrFive

My commute is a mere 24k round and the only recommendation i would make is maybe bring an extra base layer/jersey for the return trip. At the mo shorts and outer shorts whilst still maybe damp from the trip in are not that uncomfortable to put back on (especially when you get going on the way home) . I would bring a spare base layer (its still chilly in the evenings) and have a good windproof jacket or top over it. Deodarant on the cycling gear! behave :) ha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Hang your sweaty cycling clothes on the door of your locker. Nobody'll dare touch them...

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dizraeligears

Merino base layers ftw-dont smell when sweaty.Nothin as manky as sweaty polyester!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Just hang them up, if your working a 8hour shift they should be dry by the time your heading home...or near enough to being dry

• Registered Users Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭fletch

Yes if you've got proper cycling gear they shouldn't be still sweaty when you're heading home.

DrFive wrote: »
    My commute is a mere 24k round and the only recommendation i would make is maybe bring an extra base layer/jersey for the return trip. !

Yes was actually thinking a spare base layer for the trip home would be a good idea.
    cdaly_ wrote: »
    Hang your sweaty cycling clothes on the door of your locker. Nobody'll dare touch them...

Including me :o
    Merino base layers ftw-dont smell when sweaty.Nothin as manky as sweaty polyester!

Didn't know that about Merino layers will have to invest in some of them i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

I leave mine on the back of a chair in an empty office with the fan blowing. They are dry in short order, even if soaked with rain. Trick is to wear as little as possible. Long mudguards help a lot for the winter with those extra mud flaps, so much so I hardly ever put on my expensive new waterproofs which seems a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

Hopefully this isn't stating the obvious, but either a change of cycling shorts for the way home or a good schelp of chamois cream to stave off the dreaded saddle sores. Always keep a spare pair of socks and shorts in the bag in case you get drenched on the way in. Nothing as horrible as putting on wets in the evening. If you have an old pair of beat up cycling shoes leave them in work for emergencies.

Advertisement