Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather Data collecting software for Windows98?

Options
  • 05-02-2011 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a La Crosse ws2300 weather station and have it connected up to a old windows 98 machine running heavy weather, its ok but id like to get proper graphs etc as you get with cumulus. The problem is im struggling to find anything like that for 98. Anybody have any ideas what I could use(has to be freeware btw)

Cheers,
    Beast

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I have nothing to add really, but i doubt there is any freeware that is 98 compatible now. It's a long time since that was commonly used, and most freeware would only have been made available online in the last few years.

The other thing to add is that you have 666 posts - the devils number! :eek:

Sorry for going OT . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

I have nothing to add really, but i doubt there is any freeware that is 98 compatible now. It's a long time since that was commonly used, and most freeware would only have been made available online in the last few years.

What do you mean its not commonly used anymore:o Back to the drawing board so.
    The other thing to add is that you have 666 posts - the devils number! eek.gif
    Or upside down police men:pac:

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

You can use one of these for free for a month:

http://www.weather-display.com/files.php

Weather Display Live is only $40

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Hector Mildew

If its an option, dump 98, install Linux (Debian or Ubuntu variant) and try WView.

I assume you have a very old PC if it's running windows 98 so you more than likely need a lightweight Linux (such as Lubuntu)

I haven't tried this yet but was thinking of something similar, using a 7 year old PC. I'm planning on testing it in a (free) virtualbox VM first to see if it works.

Here's a good article about using WView

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll try those free trials first, then I might considering changing my setup,

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a La Crosse ws2300 weather station and have it connected up to a old windows 98 machine running heavy weather, its ok but id like to get proper graphs etc as you get with cumulus. The problem is im struggling to find anything like that for 98. Anybody have any ideas what I could use(has to be freeware btw)

Cheers,
    Beast

WINDOWS 98?......... Sorry?, whats that????....

:pac: ;) :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Iancar29 wrote: »
    WINDOWS 98?......... Sorry?, whats that????.... :pac: ;) :pac:

It's a UI based on the Win 3.11, a graphical interface over dos sublayer and command line process.

It was considered the penultimate Windows OS until Win2000/XP.

BTW. You'll still fins Win 3.11 operating on some DJ's stages and radio studios as well as the armies targeting computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭m0nsterie

Not sure if this'll do you any good - but if you are only using the Win 98 pc for 24/7 logging, and have it on a network, and have another PC running a more recent OS, you may be able to just share out the folder with the data file from the ws2300, and on the newer PC set up Cumulus to read from that folder.

Alternatively you could copy the file (via usb stick or CD or whatever) every day.

I know you can do the above for the WH1080, I'm sure Cumulus can read other manufacturer's data files too.

m0nsterie wrote: »
    Not sure if this'll do you any good - but if you are only using the Win 98 pc for 24/7 logging, and have it on a network, and have another PC running a more recent OS, you may be able to just share out the folder with the data file from the ws2300, and on the newer PC set up Cumulus to read from that folder.

Alternatively you could copy the file (via usb stick or CD or whatever) every day.

I know you can do the above for the WH1080, I'm sure Cumulus can read other manufacturer's data files too.

Thats a really good idea, i have cumulus on my laptop and it works perfect but i need my laptop to be portable, so ive the dinosaur on weather duty. Will do this from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

m0nsterie wrote: »
    Beware though that you might have trouble with the USB stick on Windows 98. You may well need a Win98 driver for the USB stick which might be hard to come by.

• Advertisement

Beware though that you might have trouble with the USB stick on Windows 98. You may well need a Win98 driver for the USB stick which might be hard to come by.

Im using usb to put software onto it atm, so would it be grand to take stuff off id say?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭m0nsterie

Thats a really good idea, i have cumulus on my laptop and it works perfect but i need my laptop to be portable, so ive the dinosaur on weather duty. Will do this from now on.

Actually I have read since on the Sandaysoft forums that it's not straightforward to bring ws2300 data into Cumulus in this way. It will work fine directly from the weather station but exporting data from Heavy Weather and then trying to import that into Cumulus is not really suported.

I would say you can transform it though. If you look at your \data folder wherever you installed Cumulus, you can see the format of the log files is quite simple, just a comma separated list of values. Does Heavy Weather have an Export to CSV function? If so how does it look, and does it say what each value represents?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

You will be able to get quite an upgrade on Adverts.ie and freecycle for pennies or free.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

Hi,

Cheers,
    Beast

Freaky or what,I have exactly the same setup running on an ancient IBM Thinkpad with win98.

Advertisement