Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time building a PC! Help?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Cheaper, better RAM:
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/kingston-hyperx-4gb--2-x-2gb--ddr3-1600mhz-non-ecc-dimm-cl9--limited-edition--779X.html

Or go to memoryc and you can save another €3 or so.
    http://www.memoryc.com/products/description/4GB_GeIL_PC3_12800_1600MHz_Value_Plus_CL9_Dual_Channel_kit-2x2GB_/index.html

PSU: A 500W PSU in a €30 case is not going to be good. Dabs don't have a great selection of (good quality) PSUs for the lower budget. The StealthXStream II 500W would be much better. Downside is only 3 SATA cables (and the €57 cost). You don't need a 500W PSU for your system but this would allow some expansion room and there's nothing cheaper that's much good. Maybe the 430W antec basiq for €43.

Hard drives: I would just go for a fast 1TB and partition it whatever way. If you really need extra storage or backup, the slower green/low power drives are slightly cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

i shall post a good specced comp later when im on my comp (im posting on my phone atm) might go with a triple core proc rather than a quad core to make a budget for a good cheap dedicated graphics card (cause i know for a fact that the sims 3 runs terribly on onboard graphics =\) plus it would free up some system memory

Heres a far better set up thats just as upgradable:

5eg300.png

plus monotype is right just get one 1tb hdd and partition it plus never trust a cheap psu and case.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭LPHeadstrong

I think I read somewhere about pre-installed PSUs all right! Thanks. Also would it be worth it getting an SSD? I've lost a lot of stuff from external HDs breaking down but not with internal yet!
    Storage isn't a big issue anyway it's more for software and multiple operating systems! The rest of the files are regularly backed up! So with that would a 320GB drive be enough? I'm still not 100% on Windows 7 so shopping around with Linux! Vista's my main OS though!

stay clear of ssd's if your on a budget, they are amazing dont get me wrong but personally i dont think there not worth the premium yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Hey IrishMetalhead, what website did you get that shopping list from? Its well within my budget!

dabs.ie
    dunno if it's the cheapest for that set up pixmania might be cheaper still have to compare it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Building upon IrishMetalhead's build, I'd recommend the 5750 over the 5670 for €5 more (if the budget allows).
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/sapphire-technology-ati-radeon-5750-hd-1gb-pci-express-2-0-x16-hdmi-7932.html

Also Zapho, if you can afford it, you should consider a PSU upgrade as the CX series are very basic and allows no room for upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Monotype wrote: »
    Building upon IrishMetalhead's build, I'd recommend the 5750 over the 5670 for €5 more (if the budget allows).
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/sapphire-technology-ati-radeon-5750-hd-1gb-pci-express-2-0-x16-hdmi-7932.html

Also Zapho, if you can afford it, you should consider a PSU upgrade as the CX series are very basic and allows no room for upgrades.

Thanks for the tip - I've had awful trouble with power supplies in the past so I'll be focusing a lot of attention on them this time.

Advertisement