Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which to buy Audi A4 versus Volkswagen Jetta?

Options
  • 05-02-2011 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of buying a 2007 Audi A4 1.6ltr Petrol but I would like to know from anyone who has bought or owned one is it worth purchasing?

I have read on-line about many mechanical issues with it, plus the costs of servicing, replacement parts and running of it in general seem to be quite high.

So I have looked into getting Volkswagen Jetta instead with the same size engine and year. It appears that the Jetta is lighter, hence faster and maybe more powerful. It costs much less plus running it is much cheaper.

So what are your views on both cars and is better to get?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Neither. Get an Audi A4 with a 1.8t or dare I say it a 1.9tdi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Agreed... there s nothing wrong with a 1.6 but... the 1.8T is a scorcher and just as economical... 40+mpg on a run.

The TDi is 55+mpg on a run and "real world" fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

Neither, im not joking when I say buy an octavia, cheaper, bigger and looks nice too.
    A4 is too small in the rear seat, jetta looks like a dishwasher with wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

TDI passat?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shayno90

I have to consider also the cost of car insurance in my case and also the tax to be paid, which is why I do not want to go over 1.6L.
    Big difference in the tax:

07 Audi=E445
    08 Audi=E600

07 Jetta=E445
    08 Jetta=E150

• Advertisement

shayno90 wrote: »
    I have to consider also the cost of car insurance in my case and also the tax to be paid, which is why I do not want to go over 1.6L.
    Big difference in the tax:

07 Audi=E445
    08 Audi=E600

07 Jetta=E445
    08 Jetta=E150
    Even so, the 1.6 engine is really quite underpowered. If you went for a 1.9TDi the money saved on fuel would far outweigh insurance and tax.

You are mistaken on the motor tax.
    Going with equivalent engines, the jetta & any audi with have practically identical tax rates.

Diesel:
    08 passat/jetta/A3/A4/A6 with a 1.9/2.0 tdi will be €156 or €304 depending on updates etc.
    07 versions of the above will be €600 approx.

Petrol:
    08 passat/jetta/A3/A4/A6 with a 1.6 to 1.8T will be around €450
    07 versions will be similarily priced

Edit: Not sure on the tax rate of the 08 1.6L petrol but if its so poor that it puts it in 600 tax bracket, dont even consider it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I would not buy a 1.6. They are totally underpowered OP. As someone else said get the 1.8T or the Diesel. I know the tax maybe 200 more a year.

Stay in for 3 nights with no beer and there is your saving.;)

mickdw wrote: »
    You are mistaken on the motor tax.
    Going with equivalent engines, the jetta & any audi with have practically identical tax rates.

Diesel:
    08 passat/jetta/A3/A4/A6 with a 1.9/2.0 tdi will be €156 or €304 depending on updates etc.
    07 versions of the above will be €600 approx.

Petrol:
    08 passat/jetta/A3/A4/A6 with a 1.6 to 1.8T will be around €450
    07 versions will be similarily priced

Edit: Not sure on the tax rate of the 08 1.6L petrol but if its so poor that it puts it in 600 tax bracket, dont even consider it.

As far as I know, 07 cars are taxed the old way so for the same engine size (1.6) car make doesn't matter and price is 445.

08 cars are taxed the new way based on Co2 emmisions.
    Audi A4 1.6 emissions are 190g/km, that makes it a category E priced at 600.
    08 Jetta emissions are 149g/km so price would be 290, not 150 my mistake.

Anyways, it's still cheaper. Correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as I know, 07 cars are taxed the old way so for the same engine size (1.6) car make doesn't matter and price is 445.

08 cars are taxed the new way based on Co2 emmisions.
    Audi A4 1.6 emissions are 190g/km, that makes it a category E priced at 600.
    08 Jetta emissions are 149g/km so price would be 290, not 150 my mistake.

Anyways, it's still cheaper. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I did say that I wasnt sure of the rate for the 1.6 petrol. Those emissions take it out of the running for any sensible person. Ive a 170 bhp 1.8T audi (08) and the tax is €447. Nobody would touch that 1.6 on an 08 plate given the tax and the terrible performance. To sum up, if tax price is a concern, that 1.6 should be your last option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

if ever there was a case of paraphrasing that old film phrase, it's now: " None of the above".

Forgetting engines, the A4 is tiny in the back.

Meanwhile, back on engines: +1 on the 1.8t. Best bang-for-buck in a pre-08

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

If I were you i'd opt for an A6 2.0TFSI or 2.0TDI. Spacious and not underpowered and guaranteed to be a cut above a poorly specced Audi A4 1.6

It all depends on your budget though, what is it?

2007 Audi A6 2.0 TDI Multitronic
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A6/2.0-TDI-/201046200243896/advert?channel=CARS

2007 Audi A6 2.0 TFSI
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A6/2.0-TFSI/201105201102196/advert?channel=CARS

If I were you i'd opt for an A6 2.0TFSI or 2.0TDI. Spacious and not underpowered and guaranteed to be a cut above a poorly specced Audi A4 1.6

It all depends on your budget though, what is it?

2007 Audi A6 2.0 TDI Multitronic
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A6/2.0-TDI-/201046200243896/advert?channel=CARS

2007 Audi A6 2.0 TFSI
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A6/2.0-TFSI/201105201102196/advert?channel=CARS

Ya 1.6ltr is the highest I will go due to the cost of insurance for myself anything above is too much.

12000-13000 is the most I would be willing to pay so I am constrained on what I can get.

Any recommendations on good 1.4 or 1.6 car within those constraints?

Audi A3 Sportback 1.6 2007

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A3/SPORTBAC/201033199261404/advert?channel=CARS

Smaller than an A4 but if you want a 1.6L engine then it's better suited to the A3.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

An s40 1.6d that 1.6 in the Audi is shocking slow even in an a3

That rules out the Audi's if the 1.6ltr engine has not enough power and is not economical.

So what I am looking for is

1.4-1.6ltr petrol or diesel if after 2008
    Saloon car
    Preferably a European car
    Good value for money and within budget of up to 13K
    Years 2007 or 2008 (diesel after 2008)
    Engine with a good bit of power

If you have any ideas, let me know.

Is anyone recommending a VW Jetta? Is it a good car apart from looking like a dishwasher as mentioned earlier?

S40 or V50 as suggested above, 1.6 diesel. Mazda3 with the same engine.

Jetta not a bad car, essentially a booted golf. One with loads of spec would be ok. Think there's a 1.6 fsi engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Is anyone recommending a VW Jetta? Is it a good car apart from looking like a dishwasher as mentioned earlier?

A good spec Focus would be better imho. Or a Mondeo.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thinking outside the VAG box:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201035199416622

Or if you could up your budget a bit you could buy something like this:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201104201002545

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

bazz26 wrote: »

The steering wheel in that C5 looks like it could control the Enterprise, too many buttons.

• Advertisement

There's way more buttons on your keyboard and you've figured that out :D

Because the centre of the wheel doesn't move its not much of a problem, they're logically grouped anyway and you don't have to press them!

Advertisement