Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how long does plaster take to dry?

Options
  • 05-02-2011 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

Hi knowledgeable people,
    I just had a wall plastered and skimmed. I've left the window open, but it hasn't stopped raining since....and the radiator started leaking so I've switched that off. Anyway, how long before I can paint? I know there's any number of factors but just a ball park will do fine. I'm assuming the humidity will have a major impact. Thanks. JC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If its been plastered and skimmed and its all fresh, then you'll need to leave it for a few weeks to dry out fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Use natural ventilation,open windows doors etc., do not force drying with heaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Rule of thumb is 1 day per 1mm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

The drying lifecycle of plaster is like a curve. It'll dry a lot at first and then keep on drying less and less for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

If it has been recently plastered, its probably a dark pink almost red colour. You will see it drying overtime, changing colour as it drys. A light pink is what your after. As the other posters said, probably at least a week or 10 days. Don't be foolish and rush into painting the walls, let it dry fully beforehand. If not this will lead to paint failure and problems for an eternity if you don't

Yeah leave the windows open and crank on the heat. Warm air circulating is what you are after.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

The best thing you can do is wait for the whole wall to turn pink and then leave it at least another week. Especially in this damp weather, if you paint it when its not totally dry, the paint will peel off in chunks and you will never get it right.

If you knew a carpet or lino layer, most of them would have a humidity meter you could test the walls with.

Advertisement