Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astec system

Options
  • 05-02-2011 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Just wondering are astec the worst system out there. Had it in the house for about 3 years now, and nothing but problems with. Had battery faults, zones open, call engineer, and outside bellbox stopped working. All rectified themselves at one stage or another, and lately they started popping up again. So to cut a long story short i ripped it all out and skiped it yesterday and looking for a heads up on a proper system that wont give me problems.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

The Astec system is a good system but it has very little tolerance of bad connections. It sounds like your system was incorrectly installed and you would have had problems regardless off the type of system used.

If you're set on not using Astec the new HCK Securewave is an excellent panel and the Signet is also very good. On both panels you can mix wired and wireless which can be very useful. Do a search on the forums for both of those and you'll get loads of info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭skar

for one box to many problems.. :D
    don't think that's alarm problem

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I agree, way too many problems for one installation.
    Even allowing for getting something faulty would not give all these problems. It has to be poor quality installaion.The only thing that could cause so many issues is poor connections & bad wiring.
    If its a pre wired house and you replacing from scratch look at
    Europlex SigNET or HKC Securewave . If you want to keep the existing detection devices then your only other option is Astec Fusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dave45dave

Thanks for replies lads, as i said i no longer have the system so will look into the HKC option.

Thanks again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

A good system which will also give you the option to add wireless.
    Remember you will need to change all the sensors contacts PiRs PAs etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭altor

dave45dave wrote: »
    Just wondering are astec the worst system out there. Had it in the house for about 3 years now, and nothing but problems with. Had battery faults, zones open, call engineer, and outside bellbox stopped working. All rectified themselves at one stage or another, and lately they started popping up again. So to cut a long story short i ripped it all out and skiped it yesterday and looking for a heads up on a proper system that wont give me problems.

Thanks.

I agree with the lads there, it is a good system and most problems are down to poor installation practices. Getting a proper installer to check it over would of being the best option, it would of saved you a few bob also as a whole new alarm is going to cost you. If you still have the sensors you should look at installing the Astec fusion as all the sensors can be used with this system.

altor wrote: »
    I agree with the lads there, it is a good system and most problems are down to poor installation practices. Getting a proper installer to check it over would of being the best option, it would of saved you a few bob also as a whole new alarm is going to cost you. If you still have the sensors you should look at installing the Astec fusion as all the sensors can be used with this system.

Dont have anything of the system left . have an alarm company coming in the morning. Going to fit HKC Securewatch for €630 with 2 years parts and labour warranty. Doesnt sound to bad for piece of mind.
    Thanks anyway.

Dont have anything of the system left . have an alarm company coming in the morning. Going to fit HKC Securewatch for €630 with 2 years parts and labour warranty. Doesnt sound to bad for piece of mind.
    Thanks anyway.

I would be looking at getting the HKC Securewave installed over the HKC Securewatch panel.

I would not be looking at getting the HKC Securewave installed over the HKC Securewatch panel.

+1 on that.
    Ask him for securewave , it should be the same price.

I would not be looking at getting the HKC Securewave installed over the HKC Securewatch panel.

Now im confussed , your saying one thing and KOOLKID is saying different. Are you saying securewave is better than securewatch. Whats the difference.:confused:

• Advertisement

Also with the HKC Securewave installed if you do have any problems with cables that may have being causing issues with the Astec it can take wire free devices.
    It should be the same price so insist on this panel being installed.

Sorry , I read Altors post wrong , Im presuming he wrote it wrong also.
    Securewave is HKCs newer panel. There is no reason to install an older securewatch panel over this. The panels cost the same price so insist on the Securewave. You also have the benefit of wireless built in if you need to add devices at a later date.

Now im confussed , your saying one thing and KOOLKID is saying different. Are you saying securewave is better than securewatch. Whats the difference.:confused:

No, he is agreeing with me.
    HKC securewave is there newer panel. It can take wired devices plus wire free devices. The older Securewatch is dated compared to this panel.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Sorry , I read Altors post wrong , Im presuming he wrote it wrong also.

+1 :D

+1 :D

It might be to late now as there coming 1st thing. Ive sent them an email asking for securewave , but if i get securewatch are they ok. Maybe they just have old panels in stock

It might be to late now as there coming 1st thing. Ive sent them an email asking for securewave , but if i get securewatch are they ok. Maybe they just have old panels in stock

I would ring them before they arrive. You have not got it installed yet so it is up to you. The securewatch panel is very slow compared to the securewave panel. Also the added feature of being able to add wire free devices if needs be is a big plus for the same price.

I would ring them before they arrive. You have not got it installed yet so it is up to you. The securewatch panel is very slow compared to the securewave panel. Also the added feature of being able to add wire free devices if needs be is a big plus for the same price.

Will do, thanks

Will do, thanks

Your welcome, I cant understand how any company would install the Securewatch over the Securewave.

And also, the Securewatch will become obsolete in the coming years so bear that in mind. I would not except the Securewatch under any circumstances as there really is a huge difference between that and the Securewave.

+1 to Altor & FredFunk.
    Do not accept under any circumstances.
    Would you Accept a 10 year old mobile for the price of an iPhone???

• Advertisement

Just got an email back , securewave €50 extra , so ill go with that.
    Thanks everyone for opinions and advice.

Just got an email back , securewave €50 extra , so ill go with that.
    Thanks everyone for opinions and advice.

Good to hear you getting the Securewave over the Securewatch but the €50 extra is unjustifiable.

There is no reason for charging you extra.
    The panels cost the same. This is the company you are trusting with your security??
    If they are charging you € 50 for nothing, what are they going to add when you want to add something??
    First they try to sell you an older panel, then ask for an extra € 50 for one that costs the same. I would be suspicious. Be careful.

Lads, the securewave is slightly more expensive than the securewatch. €50 including VAT isn't too bad.

Lads, the securewave is slightly more expensive than the securewatch. €50 including VAT isn't too bad.

€23 is the difference including VAT. I just cant understand why any installer would even consider installing the 8/12. Either way the OP is better off paying the extra to have the Securewave installed over the 8/12.

€23 is the difference including VAT. I just cant understand why any installer would even consider installing the 8/12. Either way the OP is better off paying the extra to have the Securewave installed over the 8/12.

Checked with gem this morning and difference of €19. Anyway installer charged me an extra €30. Done and dusted in 3 hours and he put in two extra pirs in garage. Charged me €680 in total which im happy with. Handy few bob for a mornings work. Guess i picked the wrong trade to be in.

Checked with gem this morning and difference of €19. Anyway installer charged me an extra €30. Done and dusted in 3 hours and he put in two extra pirs in garage. Charged me €680 in total which im happy with. Handy few bob for a mornings work. Guess i picked the wrong trade to be in.

He must of being reading this thread :D

He must of being reading this thread :D

Thought that myself , had my suspicions it might be one of you guys. Guess im wrong

Thought that myself , had my suspicions it might be one of you guys. Guess im wrong

HA HA, If it was me you would of got the Securewave for the same price :D

• Advertisement

I know you were saying it 'tongue in cheek' but I can assure you that if you break the cost down the installer didn't make anything near what you think he did. 680 is actually quite a good price. Glad you got it sorted anyway.:)

Advertisement