Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when to turn heat on to keep baby warm???

Options
  • 05-02-2011 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

ok i feel kinda stupid asking this... but hey...

i have a 2 week old baby... so obviously need to keep the place warm. I did have my heating on for 12 hours a day (on for an hour, off for an hour.... i want to keep the place at a constant temperature!) But obviously that uses a mad amount of oil!

i was just wondering... if i just have it on for a few hours will that keep it warm enough??? When should i put it on???

Any help here would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

have a 2 week old too:)
    I set the thermostats to 18 C and just leave it on.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I was given a rule of thumb by the PHN. Keep the house how you're comfortable and have baby wearing one layer more than you (for newborns). So if you're comfy in a t-shirt baby would wear a vest and babygro.

You can quickly check if junior is comfy by feeling the nape of the neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I have a 2week old too. We're staying with my parents in the country this weekend so the house us colder than ours in Dublin. The bedroom temp was as low as 16oc last night. I put a long sleeve vest and knitted cardigan on him as extra layers and he slept soundly last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭janmc

I'd get a room thermometer - easiest way to keep an eye on it. Our baby monitor has one built in. That way you know if you need to put an extra layer on the baby. Worth remembering that sometimes it can be too warm too!

Advertisement