Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Methinks I need to up my security

Options
  • 05-02-2011 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

I currently live in a rural location with my toddler. I had a bit of a jolt last night where the doorbell rang in the early hours, no car and a bloke at the front door.

Without going into details I didn't open the door but suspect that the house has been watched as my car wasn't in front of the house for a few days.

I have security lighting all around the house, and an alarm (standard). As the house is new, the doors and windows are standard and have the usual locks.

The house has three exits, all covered by the alarm-as are the windows. I don't want to spend money to have nothing to really show for it. I guess that I would like advice as to where I should focus and what should I really get?

Are door chains any good?
    security camera over the door?
    electric gates even?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

A camera on the front door is a good idea, this way you can check out the door with out anyone seeing you in the hall.
    Chubb locks or chains on the doors.
    Locking your gate for a start would be good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Thanks for the reply jnealon.

Good to know that the chains are good-I just didn't know how they can be fitted on pvc doors. I kind of knew that I may have to go down the camera route-I always hated the idea but I guess I'll get over it!!!

And as soon as I actually get gates-I'll be the first to lock them!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Don't want to scare you but an elderly relative of ours died last year & her house, which is now empty without an alarm, was broken into last week (western side of city). Gardaí said a large number of houses were targeted the same night. The modus operandi is to knock & if no answer to break in. If you answer they ask for directions or if "John Murphy" lives there. They cut a neat square out of a double-glazed window, went in & bolted the front door inside so anyone coming home couldn't get in. Fortunately, all valuables had been removed so they left empty handed. Looking for cash & gold apparently.

A good alarm or noisy dog is essential these days.

errr thanks Wyldwood.......(yea you did scare me)

Dog isn't an option at the mo,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

That happened to a friend of mine and he said yes ill get him now and the would be robber legged it away

• Advertisement

well i live in SA at the moment, house breakins are big here, in my place i have bars on all the opening windows, security gates on my doors, an alarm system and 4 dogs, 2 of which are guard dogs.
    others put electric fence around there houses, i know ireland isnt like Sa but i hear of more and more breakins in ireland and cork where i am from. bars on opening windows actually is a good idea, i can leave my ground floor windows open all day.
    but seriously dogs are the best alarm.

by the wyldwood, does your name mean you were in wildwood usa at some stage

keffo, how do people escape in the event of a fire? I see the same barred windows in Spain and it's the first thing I think of. I think it's an insurance requirement in Spain. I guess it's similar in SA.

My house is a bungalow and would mean that every window would be barred- Would prefer to have the option of legging it out the window if someone is coming in the back.

Anyway, a lock for the oil tank has been sorted, have decided on my safe-(I only care about my jewelery for sentimental reasons). Everything else can be replaced with insurance. Guy phoning me back tomorrow re cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

I would also get a good strong door on your bedroom and some strong locks, at least then no-one can get into your bedroom. Maybee use a tablelamp on a timer to go on a few times at night set to come on at different times. Also have a phone point in your bedroom or better still your mobile phone if you have a good signal. Stove fan.

My bedroom door is solid enough (so I can leg it out the window anyway!). I will be digging out the timer again but am wondering about its usefulness as I had a light on when my 'visitor' rang the bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

axel rose wrote: »
    Are door chains any good?
    Jnealon wrote: »
    Chubb locks or chains on the doors.
    ... in my place i have bars on all the opening windows...

Someone answer about fires.. what do you do?!
    I'd love bars and all (ones with designs or something so it doesn't look like a prison) but a fire.. wow! My house went on fire when I was 7 or 8.. I was upstairs and didn't know it was on fire.. lots of people outside and someone came to my room and black smoke everywhere. My mother actually thought I was dead.
    I'd rather be robbed than be trapped in a fire.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

how do people escape in the event of a fire?

It is possible to have barred windows where the barred section hinges once unlocked.

Personally I would feel like I was living in a prison!

Although often impractical a dog or two is the best deterrent of all in my opinion.

Advertisement