Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance

Options
  • 04-02-2011 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

I'm 17 now and it's time to get my own car.. Have €4000/5000 to spend on the car on it's own, excluding insurance, tax etc.
    I've been driving (off public roads) since I was 14 so I won't be learning the basics in it.
    Any recommendations? Need a good solid car, was looking at something like a 1.4 focus or maybe a newer 1.25 fiesta. Don't want a little micra or anything with a 1l engine. The insurance has to be reasonable too.
    Not too sure what I can get for that money.
    Any advice appreciated..

Thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

4 or 5k for a car at 17 is a waste of money not incl tax and insurance. Aim to spend 3-4k max all inclusive. You may not want a 1L but there's no such thing as reasonable insurance for a 17 year old, so you might have to make that sacrifice for a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

If you have 4k to spend, put 3k away for the insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭augmented reality

Ok then, I'll spend €3-4k on the car. And I'll pay the insurance.
    What car would you recommend?
    My friend spent €1800 on a 00 Nissan micra and I think that was crazy money (excluding insurance) and then €1000 insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Ok then, I'll spend €3-4k on the car. And I'll pay the insurance.
    What car would you recommend?
    My friend spent €1800 on a 00 Nissan micra and I think that was crazy money (excluding insurance) and then €1000 insurance.

I presume you mean 3-4k on the insurance and the rest on the car. I'm 100% your friend didn't get a policy for €1000 in his own name if he was 17.

You should try and see if a parent has a spare bonus or driving experience so that they can take out a policy on a car in their own name (registered to them also) and then add you as a named driver. You would be looking at 1200 -1800 depending on vehicle you get.

Advertisement