Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passengers don't put your feet up on the dash

Options
  • 04-02-2011 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭

Subject: Road Safety message-Grainne Kealy's story re. airbags during crashes if not sitting correctly during impact
    This is my story.....

When I was 22 my life was turned upside down. An accident changed my life forever and I am now ready to tell the world about it and hopefully in the process it might help anyone who might be like me! My name is Grainne Kealy and I am now nearly 27 years of age. Early on the morning of the 17th of December 2006 my boyfriend and I left our home in Galway for my home place in Laois. Going through Borris-in-Ossary the jeep skidded on a patch of black ice and crashed into a wall. As accidents go it was a pretty bad one. The jeep was destroyed but fortunately there were no other vehicles involved. My boyfriend got out with minor injuries thank god but he has all the memories! It is thanks to him and my family that I can tell you this story.

You see I had decided along the way that I would be more comfortable if my feet were on the dashboard. It was something I rarely did and only did it that morning as I had bought a new pair of Ugg boots and knew that I wouldn't dirty the dashboard... silly when you think about it! By doing this my feet were placed directly on top of the airbag without realising. When the jeep collided with the wall the airbags inflated as they do... but because my feet were on top of my airbag it actually forced my knees and legs back in to my face. I didn't know much about how airbags work so here's some information I have learned to better help you understand how dangerous it is......The airbag system ignites a solid propellant, which burns extremely rapidly to create a large volume of gas to inflate the bag. The bag then literally bursts from its storage site at up to 200 mph (322 kph) -- faster than the blink of an eye! A second later, the gas quickly dissipates through tiny holes in the bag, thus deflating the bag so you can move.

So there you go.......now you get it. I kneed myself in the face at 200mph! Sounds a lot worse now doesn't it. To be honest it couldn't have gotten much worse. I was awake at the accident site but that quickly changed on the way to Portlaoise Hospital when they had to pull the Ambulance over as I was having the first of four brain seizures. It all went downhill from there and they even had to have me anointed. After many hours of amazing work from the doctors, nurses and other hospital staff, they finally got me stabilised and on to a ventilator. They then ran tests to see what damage had been done.

I had really done a job on myself. I had multiple facial fractures (my mother was told that I had broken every bone in my face), a CSF (Cerebrospinal Fluid) leak from my brain and oh yeah I lost two teeth! After a brief stint in Galway's High Dependency Unit (where my injuries were described as some of the worst they'd ever seen from a Road Accident), I was eventually moved to Beaumont Hospital under the care of my brain surgeon and the Max Fax (Maxillofacial) team. They told me that I had pushed in and up my face and they would have to basically pull it all out and put it back together! Sounds nice huh!! I had my first major operation on the 28th of December 2006 and on that day my family and boyfriend had to wait nearly ten hours to see me be wheeled back up the corridor to the High Dependency Unit. My recovery has been very tough and because of complications in May 2007 I am still recovering. I am also recovering from a slight brain injury but thanks to the people at A.B.I Ireland I am well on my way to being ME again! It has been a long long road for me but also for my family and boyfriend. I have no memory of the accident, the three months leading up to it or the month following it. Well I have a few little memories from my time in Beaumont but not much. One of my first memories is looking in the mirror for the first time. I didn't recognise the face looking back at me. That is one of the worse memories I have and one that I hope with all my heart few will ever have to go through.

My family and my boyfriend have been to hell and back because of me putting my feet on the dashboard. I do sometimes wish I had been warned about the dangers of it like I am warning you but I am now the type of person who likes to believe that things happen for a reason.

I have been waiting for years to be able to tell people my story but I was never strong enough to open up about such a heartbreaking experience. I am sharing my story now because I can't stand the thought of another person having to go through what I have had to go through. I would hate for another person's family to have to get that dreaded phone call as mine did! I have always said to my Mother.......I got the pain but they got the memories. I see passengers with their feet on the dashboard a lot of the time and it breaks my heart. I'm hoping you will pass on this message / warning to everyone you know and hopefully people will understand how dangerous it is.

PLEASE KEEP YOUR FEET ON THE FLOOR IN A VEHICLE........FRONT AND BACK PASSENGERS!!

One of the worst parts about it is that it seems so obvious when you think about it. So please listen to me and learn from my horrible experience.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my story. I can only hope with all my heart that you won't ever have to go through what myself and my loved ones have had to go through.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Thanks for sharing that. I hope you are feeling better now.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭joanofarc

wow....thanks for sharing what must be a hugely difficult story to tell.
    my daughter is just learning to drive and that is not something i would have thought to tell her...either in my car with her as a passenger or when she carries passengers eventually. i hope that you make a complete recovery and thanks again for the very sound advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Had this sent to us in work recently. I know it's common sense but a lot of people still do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Thanks for telling your story

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

That's actually something everyone should know. Thay should teach it on driving lessons. (heh I forgot - so far there wasn't really such thing in Ireland as driving lessons).

Anyway - correct position in the car (no matter if you are driver or passenger) has a huge impact on safety. It's not only about keeping your legs on the airbag, which is totally stupid.
    But also about correct setting of the chair. The better it's adjusted to yourself, the less chance something might happen to you during accident.

F.E drivers sitting to close to steering wheel encounter themselves to danger during accident.
    Also if someone is sitting to far, and had his legs completely straight, it can be fatal during accident. Legs always has to be bended in knees a small bit (even when clutch is full depressed), as this allows to protect your bones during front hit.

And pretty much there's plenty of stuff like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

This was recently posted in AH...its a sad story

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Folks, this is not the OP's story - it's a copy and paste of someone else's account of what happened to them.

Still valid I'm sure, but I didn't read it as I'm on the Cloud skin, and it's grey text on a black background. I could imagine the contents from the thread title and the Subject line (in white) anyway.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement