Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

still owner of vehicle ?????????????

Options
  • 04-02-2011 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Hi all ,would appreciate a little advice /help please ,I sold a vehicle in july last year and transfered insurance from old car to new one .All in order so far ,this morn I get a first penalty points notice from national toll roads saying I owe them 6 euro increasing to 30 on 13th .Went to local garda station told them of situation and contacted shannon re sale of vehicle and they say they never got change of ownership form which I sent to them on first tue in august last year ,question is what options are open to me as i have no way of contacting the person I sold car too ,any help appreciated thanks .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

you have to fill out a form and send it off stating you no longer own the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭fjireland

thats ****ty mate,

i know of a friend that had same prob, they were held liable for the points sadly, dont know was it just unhelpful guards or what that didnt wanna help, but they said could do nothing once change in ownership hadnt gone through

id be getting onto shannon asap to ask them change ownership details,

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

Thanks for quick reply ,but how do i change the ownership when i cant remember the guys name that i sold it too .I sent away the form on tuesaday after sale but when i rang them this morn they say they never received it .If i pay the 6 euro Im addmitting it was me so Im sort of between a rock and hard place i guess .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Seems like the buyer is a genuine type anyway as if not you would have received multiple speeding tickets parking & motor tax fines at this stage.

Surely you have some info on buyer? Its foolish not to, to be honest. I always keep a copy of the filled out reg cert at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

mickdw wrote: »
    Seems like the buyer is a genuine type anyway as if not you would have received multiple speeding tickets parking & motor tax fines at this stage.

Surely you have some info on buyer? Its foolish not to, to be honest. I always keep a copy of the filled out reg cert at least.
    Hi mick no I have no idea who he is he came signed the form gave me the cash and drove it away ,guards say there is no tax on car since it expired in august and also no nct:confused: .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Similar happened to me last year. Traded a car in and one of the lads in the garage bought it from the owner (he was actually the owners brother so prob intended using it for a few months only) but never bothered to change ownership. Got a shed load of fines from NTR over the next few months that amounted to a fair few bob. Called dealer, they said they would sort it but ended up getting Solc. letters, etc. Called solc. said it wasn't their problem as still in my name. Sent them receipt for purchasing 'new' car but it didn't have reg of traded car so no dice. Eventually got letter from insurance company to say that I had changed over from reg X to reg Y on such a date and sent same to solc. along with the receipt of puchase. It all went away after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

There's a specific form available from Shannon. Fill it out, get it signed by a Commissioner-of-Oaths, and send it back in to Shannon. It doesn't matter if you don't know the details of the person you sold it on to - legally you sold the car, it no longer belongs to you, and you have no control over it the minute the deal was closed between you and the buyer. The fact that Shannon's records are not up to date is not your problem. Copy eFlow with the form as well - you don't have to pay them anything since it wasn't your car anymore. Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Don17

Yea,

T-Maxx is right.
    I sold my car to some guys who were the members of a minority irish community and stupidly I gave them the vehicle ownership form because i USED to be open minded and trusting.
    okay i desperately needed to sell car and needed cash and they wouldn't take it without ownership form.
    Anyway i got something like 20 letters off eflow and ended up owning over 1000 euro given the way the fines go up if you don't pay toll etc.
    Eflow were fairly okay when i rang them and explained the problem and that form from shannon signed by a solicitor ( 10 euro ), sorted the problem and i didn't have to spend a penny on tolls.

Advertisement