Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rubbish

Options
  • 04-02-2011 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi there,
    We come over to Ireland most years. We used to camp but now have the luxury of a VW.
    We don't stay at campsites and wonder how to get rid of our rubbish as the regular street bins have such tiny entrances and often warnings about domestic rubbish. Basically it's just that, food wrappers etc. We recycle as much as poss but often there's nothing for plastic milk cartons or food tins. We wouldn't mind paying a bit at a dump if this were possible. We mostly just disguised it in crisp bags and put it in bins in small stages, a bit of a hassle tho!
    What do other people do?
    norma

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

the councils have a civic amenity center where you can bring recycling and household waste some you can pay when you arrive, some you need to buy bags or tags and or tickets. If you list where you'll be visiting we can be more specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 norma.h

That's great, thanks. We tend to be in Cork, Kerry and Clare. We'd like to get up to Donegal but by the time we get to Clare we've slowed down so much that we end up back in Kerry! Next time I think we need to do Holyhead-Dublin and get a head start on ourselves!
    cheers
    norma

Cork list of amenity sites and what they accept:
    http://www.mallow.ie/co/web/Cork%20County%20Council/Departments/Divisional%20Services/Waste%20Management/Civic%20Amenity%20Sites

Clare list of recylcing sites.. not sure if all accept waste maybe best to phone ahead.

http://www.clarecoco.ie/water-waste-environment/waste-and-recycling/map-of-recycling-facilities/

PDF with country wide recycling centers again call ahead to see what you need in terms of bags etc.

http://www.goldenpages.ie/static/GP%20pg8%20(06).pdf

Thanks so much for that. No more lurking around waste bins for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Starting to appear out there in the Garage forecourt are Pay per use household waste skips where you pay a few euro to drop off a bag of rubbish.
    Here's one I came across in Athy on streetview.

Also, as Paddy mentioned above I think most recycling centres now accept bags of household waste for a charge of about €5.

• Advertisement

Thanks,
    will keep an eye open for them too. On a tangent, as you mention Athy, how do you pronounce it? does the T get ignored?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

norma.h wrote: »
    Thanks,
    will keep an eye open for them too. On a tangent, as you mention Athy, how do you pronounce it? does the T get ignored?

Say it as if you were saying - A Thigh
    Thigh as as in part of a leg. ;)

Thanks. Am I right that 'th' isn't always pronounced, or did I imagine it? Gaelic pronunciation is even worse than Cornish!

You are right but Athy is the English spelling/pronunciation so normal "th" pronunciation applies. Except among the Irish who can't pronounce a "th" and and say "tree" instead of "three". Bad example because Trí (pronounced: tree) is the Irish for three :D

Like Welsh, Irish town names are more like descriptions and the English translations we use today usually bear no relevant to the original Irish name.

Thanks. Am I right that 'th' isn't always pronounced, or did I imagine it? Gaelic pronunciation is even worse than Cornish!

In Irish the th is sometimes silent or the t is silent and its pronounces as a h such as:
    Áth which is a ford and pronounced Aww
    Áthas which is happiness and is pronounces Aw-iss or Aw-hass
    Thuas which is up ans pronounced who-iss or who-ass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭irishllanaber

Hi there,
    Have a look at http://www.safenightsireland.com/environment.htm You will find lots of places to put your rubbish or to stay, The waterways Ireland sites are really well equipped for all campervan needs except electricty.
    Just a question on the TH ting....
    Question... In Ireland, whats three three's.......
    Answer.... A small forest

Question... In Ireland, whats three three's.......
    Answer.... A small forest

Damn I should have used that in school :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

off topic , but have we a few Gaelgoirs amongst us? Maith an buachaill!

O.K. guys, so how do you pronounce Gaelgoirs? I presume it means Gaelic speaker. Daren't even ask about 'Maith an buachaill!'
    And.....what about the d in Paudie, should it be pronounced as a j as in 'ceide'?
    Thanks irishllanaber, I'll check out the safe nights site. Have stayed at a waterways ireland site near Athlone and lovely it was.
    Cornish town names (where I live) are descriptive also and also often messed about with by the English too...

O.K. guys, so how do you pronounce Gaelgoirs? I presume it means Gaelic speaker. Daren't even ask about 'Maith an buachaill!'
    And.....what about the d in Paudie, should it be pronounced as a j as in 'ceide'?
    Thanks irishllanaber, I'll check out the safe nights site. Have stayed at a waterways ireland site near Athlone and lovely it was.
    Cornish town names (where I live) are descriptive also and also often messed about with by the English too...

Sorry! Gaelgoir,yes , Irish lover/speaker , Should have an accent on the "o" but I dunno how to do that with my keyboard. oops
    Pronounced Gale-goer , with a long "o" .
    Maith an buachaill = Good lad .:) or directly translated , Good on the boy.

re Paudie , generally it's a "d" , not a "j" sound . Paw-dee. the "i" before the "de" in ceide gives it the "j" sound I think . Also , Irish/Gaelic pronounciations vary a lot from one part ofthe country to another , a Cork man's spoken irish , and a Donegal man's spoken Irish would sound very different , in fact even the spellings of some words would be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MABLACK

Hi Norma
    If you are travelling into Dublin you can be in Donegal in 3 to 3.5 hours no problem, roads are very good now and travel time is much improved on what it used to be a few years ago. As I live in Donegal and have daughters living in Dublin I do the trip regularly. If you head for the MI and take the exit at Ardee heading on the route for Derry on to Monaghan,Aughnacloy, Omagh, Strabane and across the bridge into Lifford and you are in county Donegal.

Thanks for that Aidan, I do find the Gaelic fascinating (and endlessly confusing!) as well as the similarities with the other Celtic languages....
    and thanks for that mablack. the roads have certainly improved since we first started coming over so Donegal it shall be....hopefully..

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    but I dunno how to do that with my keyboard. oops

If your locale and keyboards are setup right its the right hand alt key next to the spacebar also marked "AltGr" on some keyboards for a caps it AltGr + shift

paddyp wrote: »
    If your locale and keyboards are setup right its the right hand alt key next to the spacebar also marked "AltGr" on some keyboards for a caps it AltGr + shift

Tá a lán áthas orm anois , a chara!! :D

Advertisement