Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beatles Fan Has World's First Original Thought

Options
  • 04-02-2011 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Been listening to a great digital radio station on iTunes lately that is just pure and constant Beatles, and very random. Lots of outtakes from early sessions, and album tracks and all the hit singles.

Then I had a funny conversation with a friend. If you were able to meet the four of them at any stage, when would you meet them? I said 67, but the conversation was actually about John. Creative peak. And just generally nuts. With facial hair comes great maturity.

Any other Beatles fans? If you could meet them at any time in their career, what time would it be?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Not a Beatles fan but would love to have been there when they made those films with Richard Lester.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

1966-1969, not picky, but if I'd have to choose I'd go for '67 too. They started releasing stuff that was actually... interesting. Revolver was the first proper psychodelic album they'd done, and it only expanded from Sgt. Peppers. Musical preference has a lot to do with my choice in fairness though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Such a difficult question,any time from Help! on

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ValJester

Rubber Soul period, being my favourite period in their music by a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭dasdog

"Before Elvis, there was nothing". I wish I had been in the vicinity of John Lennon when he said that. Most ignorant.

Two brilliant pop song writers but I don't listen I find their music disabled.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

dasdog wrote: »
    "Before Elvis, there was nothing". I wish I had been in the vicinity of John Lennon when he said that. Most ignorant.

Two brilliant pop song writers but I don't listen I find their music disabled.

In fairness the quote is about Lennon talking about his experience as a teenager. As a liverpudlian youth in the 50's with nothing to claim as his own it probably felt like there was nothing before Elvis. To take the quote in isolation makes the statement a meaningless soundbite.

And if you find the music disabled that's fair enough but I think it misses out on how audacious some of the music truly is. Familirity breeds contempt when it comes to listening to the Beatles sometimes and it's hard to actually strip away preconceived notions of what the Beatles were to realise what the achieved:

Tomorrow never knows
    I'm only sleeping
    Elenor Rigby
    Getting Better
    Fixing a Hole
    Revolution No. 9
    Happiness is a Warm Gun
    The End of Abbey Road
    Something
    Nowhere Man

and on and on...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I would love to have been about 16 years of age when all the Beatles thing started,It must have a great time to have been a teenager,the start of real music.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I have got to be there through the Sgt. Peppers recordings up until the weekend of the release party (Hendrix got a copy on Friday night/Saturday morning and opened with it on Sunday).

Monday morning would everything would have felt like a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

I have never particularly liked Sgt Pepper's but have been listening to it a lot lately, and while there are no hit singles on it, it's just a great piece of work, and really comes alive when you listen on headphones. A song like Lovely Rita has so much to it, and starts so simply but becomes very mischievous, like a lot of the other songs on the album. They really pushed everything and experimented a lot. But especially, I'd like to have been there when they wrote and arranged She's Leaving Home. It's just brilliant, and like Ned Rorem said, equal to anything Schubert ever wrote. I love the back story too, about how it was based on a Daily Mail article about a girl who ran away, but later a photo emerged of the Beatles circa 1963, with that girl in the background. She had won a competition on the BBC and got to meet them. Little did they know they would write a song about her. It's just a cool story.

So for me, the first half of 1967 would have been a great time to meet them. I think they were fully aware of their own importance at that time, and still working well as a unit.

Advertisement