Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A bike for cycling in city and down long roads.

Options
  • 04-02-2011 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

Hi i'm going to be moving out of the city centre soon and i was thinking of cycling into town each morning rather than getting the bus to save money, i'l be cycling down a long straight road to town, i'm just wondering which bike is should buy for this, a hybrid or a racing bike? and what would the prices be like? I don't really want to spend more than 200 quid if i can avoid it and am planning to buy 2nd hand, i know trying to get a racing bike at that price is a long shot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Laisurg wrote: »
    i'l be cycling down a long straight road to town, i'm just wondering which bike is should buy for this, a hybrid or a racing bike?
    AFAIK most bikes can be cycled down long straight roads. Don't go for a unicycle, I guess.
    Check out adverts.ie, the adverts section here, gumtree, buy&sell, donedeal etc. if looking to buy secondhand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

a road bike (race bike) for under 200 would not be up to much unless you got a great deal. the shifter alone cost about that. i, as most on here would aswell would only consider a road bike as i find them more comfortable, but a budget is a budget and yours screams hybrid. you should get a decent enough hybrid for 200 2nd hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

If u were cycling a long straight road today, u'd soon see the advantages of a road bike over a hybrid.....ROAD BIKE...definitly.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

It wouldn't be far really, about 2 miles, the only thing is i'd like to be able to go fairly quickly as i'm usually pretty slow at getting up in the morning ^^ how much would i be looking to spend on a half decent racing bike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

It wouldn't be far really, about 2 miles, the only thing is i'd like to be able to go fairly quickly as i'm usually pretty slow at getting up in the morning ^^ how much would i be looking to spend on a half decent racing bike?

The more you spend, the better the bike you'll get. Expect to spend €500 up for a new bike, but If your on a budget, go here and look around. ( A single speed might be an option worth looking at if your route is flat)

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Thanks Lapierre, i'l head in there next week and have a look around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

If you're two miles out of town and cycling to the city centre, I think virtually any bike would do you.

If you observe red lights, virtually any practical bike will convey you there in much the same time. The distance is too small for a light, sporty bike to make much of a difference.

If you don't observe red lights, on the other hand, there might be a significant difference, but you really should ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

07Lapierre wrote: »
    If u were cycling a long straight road today, u'd soon see the advantages of a road bike over a hybrid.....ROAD BIKE...definitly.
    not if it's a bumpy long straight road...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

I have this nice Dawes Giro 200 for sale - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68451928&postcount=9

As new condition with upgraded brakes and seatpost. Perfect for commuting and I'll let it go for under €200:).

• Advertisement
Advertisement