Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on car purchase

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

practicality will be similar with both cars, the focus probably having a slightly bigger boot, it just depends are your pockets deep enough to run the golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭doOh

LOL ... realy ? Golf GTI and Ford Focus 1.6d ? u have to tell us what u want. Sport car which eats 15l of petrol or a car which eats 7l of diesel ... can u afford ins, tax etc ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

What would the running costs be, and why would the golf be more expensive to run?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Focus - mpg 50+ road tax €156 (I guess)
    Golf - mpg 30+ road €614

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Bruce7 wrote: »
    Suspect this might be a stupid question, but which of these should I go for? I have two small kids, so practicality will also enter into it.

No difference at all in practicality.

The Golf will clearly cost more. Work out how much more (including all costs). If the extra is worth it to have the better car, buy a GTi. If you can think of things you'd rather do with the money, buy the econobox.

doOh wrote: »
    LOL ... realy ? Golf GTI and Ford Focus 1.6d ? u have to tell us what u want. Sport car which eats 15l of petrol or a car which eats 7l of diesel ... can u afford ins, tax etc ?

What I want is a Lexus or an E class merc. What my wife will let me spend is about 10 or 11k. :o

Hoping to get as much car as I can for this amount. Can afford insurance and tax. Don't drive that much so petrol costs should be manageable as well.

Is there anything else to bear in mind? Is the golf very temperamental, requiring a lot of servicing, work etc? I'm pretty negligent with my cars to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I would go for the Golf.
    I will get slated for this but you will get the same performance from this and it is 2 years newer. ( No DSG though) Might be worth considering?
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1854976

vectra wrote: »
    I would go for the Golf.
    I will get slated for this but you will get the same performance from this and it is 2 years newer. ( No DSG though) Might be worth considering?
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1854976

Sorry, for some reason that site is blocked from work. What car is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Full?id=5142314

A petrol vRS

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

si_guru wrote: »
    Focus - mpg 50+ road tax €156 (I guess)
    Golf - mpg 30+ road €614

Insurance could easily be double or more on the GTi (depending on your age/experience).

You'll want decent tyres, again, double the prices, and you'll use twice as many.

Do all the sums before deciding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Get the GTI, you won't regret it:D

It's really all or nothing though isn't it, a 1.6 diesel versus 2.0L TFSI engine?

You'll get somewhere between 8 & 10 L/100km from the golf which is 28-35 mpg depending on how you drive it. Insurance and tax will obviously be a bit more but small price to pay if you ask me. There's actually a good bit of room in it as well, boot is a decent size and plenty of room for kids in the back.

The one you linked looks like it's been well looked after and the mileage is very low for an '05, timing belt changed, etc. Just make sure the oil in the DSG box has been changed if you are getting it, I think it's meant to be done around the 50k mark.

Think about how many focuses you see every day, I think deep down you know which one you want;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

The focus would be cheaper to run in almost every way.

rickyjb wrote: »
    Get the GTI, you won't regret it:D

It's really all or nothing though isn't it, a 1.6 diesel versus 2.0L TFSI engine?

You'll get somewhere between 8 & 10 L/100km from the golf which is 28-35 mpg depending on how you drive it. Insurance and tax will obviously be a bit more but small price to pay if you ask me. There's actually a good bit of room in it as well, boot is a decent size and plenty of room for kids in the back.

The one you linked looks like it's been well looked after and the mileage is very low for an '05, timing belt changed, etc. Just make sure the oil in the DSG box has been changed if you are getting it, I think it's meant to be done around the 50k mark.

Think about how many focuses you see every day, I think deep down you know which one you want;)

Is it unusual that the timing belt was done at 55k? I don't know much about it, but thought that this only got done at extremely high mileage - around 100k. Could this be a sign that the car is clocked, and true mileage is much higher than claimed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Is it unusual that the timing belt was done at 55k? I don't know much about it, but thought that this only got done at extremely high mileage - around 100k. Could this be a sign that the car is clocked, and true mileage is much higher than claimed?

No, different manufacturers have different intervals. It's usually a certain time limit and or mileage limit.

When you say you are negligent about cars, do you service them regularly? Both of those cars have turbos and will require proper servicing to maximise the turbos lifespan. Might be better for you to get a simpler engine possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'd be 95% certain that the Focus is an ex. rental car.

I'm not sure that combination of engine and short hop rental journeys (and having the stones driven out of it) would make for a long lasting engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

R.O.R wrote: »
    I'd be 95% certain that the Focus is an ex. rental car.

I'm not sure that combination of engine and short hop rental journeys (and having the stones driven out of it) would make for a long lasting engine.

Im not being smart, just wondering why you think this? Buying a car over the weekend so just for future reference like

EPM wrote: »
    No, different manufacturers have different intervals. It's usually a certain time limit and or mileage limit.

When you say you are negligent about cars, do you service them regularly? Both of those cars have turbos and will require proper servicing to maximise the turbos lifespan. Might be better for you to get a simpler engine possibly.

Up until now, I have never had a car serviced. I kind of treated the NCT as a yardstick. If car passed, it was fine; if not, I fixed whatever they told me to. But I'm going to treat next car properly. Is there a guide somewhere to treating a golf gti properly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Up until now, I have never had a car serviced. I kind of treated the NCT as a yardstick. If car passed, it was fine; if not, I fixed whatever they told me to. But I'm going to treat next car properly. Is there a guide somewhere to treating a golf gti properly?

Just service it according to the manufacturers service intervals. It will be a mileage limit or time - whichever is first. The reason I asked about servicing is modern diesels especially need to be looked after, running low on oil and the like is a big no no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

IPAM wrote: »
    Im not being smart, just wondering why you think this? Buying a car over the weekend so just for future reference like

You don't see pressed Metal plates on many cars, but for some reason rental cars seem to have them. It's also pretty high mileage for that type of car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

:eek::eek:

A car needs regular servicing irrespective of the NCT.

Yeah I know. Nobody is ever 100% compliant with all the admin and other sh*t that has to be done in life though. For me, it was my cars that I neglected, mainly because I have never had one that I really liked. Hopefully that is about to change though. I'll report back on Monday.

Thanks to all for the advice on this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

R.O.R wrote: »
    You don't see pressed Metal plates on many cars, but for some reason rental cars seem to have them. It's also pretty high mileage for that type of car.

When is that since? pressed metal plates, handy info never knew that

My car has pressed metal plates, had it since new, so that must be since a certain year?

I'd go for the focus (maybe not that one, but a focus)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

No difference at all in practicality.

The Golf will clearly cost more. Work out how much more (including all costs). If the extra is worth it to have the better car, buy a GTi. If you can think of things you'd rather do with the money, buy the econobox.

econobox? I thought the Focus styles of the last few years were well spec'd?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭voteforpedro

is it just me or do the new wheels on the golf look like reps too? somethin just seems not right about them....

Good spot on the number plates, also strange enough having a 08 without number plate surrounds and dealer stickers, another characteristic of rental yokes. Mileage is quite high for a 08, guts of 600miles/week is alot, unless that is the mileage in kms but it does say miles. Generally when a garage removes the original surrounds they throw on their own, so too with the dealer sticker, as there are none on that one you'd have to think that's the way she came in to them.

Those aluminium embossed plates are a good job though, we used to sell them in the factors I worked in, the ones on that Focus aren't perfect though, you can see that the digits are slightly higgledy piggledy for want of a better phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

The timing belt on the golf should be done after 100k or 5 years whichever is first, so it was done at the correct time. The fact that it's a turbo engine doesn't mean it needs extra attention as such, the GTI will tell you itself when it needs to be serviced but you will need to check the oil/tyre pressures every 2-4 weeks, particularly the oil. It's not exactly a big job though. Never servicing a car is shocking behaviour by the way:)

Those alloys are the originals, they just look slightly different because they're the larger 18" ones. They scuff fairly easily so they might have some marks around the edges but once there are no lumps missing/cracks I wouldn't be too worried.

All in all you'll enjoy the golf much much more and once you look after the basic maintenance it won't give you any problems. Unless you're really worried about fuel costs and are going to be doing serious mileage then it's a no brainer. The focus is just... meh. Ex-rental doesn't sound good either.

I will admit I'm hugely biased but there's my .02c anyway

Advertisement