Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corinthians rugby- first rugby attempt

Options
  • 04-02-2011 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    My first attempt at rubgy photogrpahy, shooting with Tamron 18-250 lens, any C&C welcome.
    Learnt that it's hard to get the action shots so I tried for differnet types of shots (as well as action but none included here).
    I used center focus, which probably wasn't the best option (e.g. in photo 2 the player is off focus).

5405187637_50628be367_z.jpg

A bit blurry but I like the 'body of hands' and the player looks like he's lost his and looking for it:

5405220627_7c438a21ce_z.jpg

Down but not out

5405352863_5654e2eb4a_z.jpg

Time out lads

5405395033_0aa7124e5d_b.jpg

Ready, steady, jump

5414428556_bac9340aee_b.jpg

They just ghosted past us...

5413819275_da669f7052_b.jpg

It's game over man, it's game over. This is my favourite one.

5405197569_203e64bcea_z.jpg

Cheers,
    Pa.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,818 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one of the problems i've had while taking rugby shots is the distracting hoardings in the background. i don't have a superfast telephoto lens to throw them enough out of focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭dinneenp

one of the problems i've had while taking rugby shots is the distracting hoardings in the background. i don't have a superfast telephoto lens to throw them enough out of focus.

That's very true. I don't think that I'm going to come into a thousand euros or so to get a 70-200 f2.8 or 40mm f2.8 lens anytime soon so I just try to make do...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I'd stick to one processing style for the set. You've got washed out colour, B&W, over saturated colour, some sort of sepia thing, and normal colour all in the space of a few shots. Very jarring. If they were all processed the same way they could at least be viewed as part of a cohesive set.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I'd stick to one processing style for the set. You've got washed out colour, B&W, over saturated colour, some sort of sepia thing, and normal colour all in the space of a few shots. Very jarring. If they were all processed the same way they could at least be viewed as part of a cohesive set.

I have to totally agree there. The processing and mix really put me off.

A nice selection of shots, without any action.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

Nice first attempt , a faster 70-200 lens would help and the non IS ones can be picked up for around €700 on adverts.ie ,one thing in sport if you can always include the ball in the shot and access the game and wait for that tackle/impact or try/celebration and you will get what your looking for...id be willing to meet you if it suits and you could borrow a faster lens as I got a lend from others on here and found it really helpful and costly to my credit card :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Jaysus, that brings me back.... Corinthians were my first club -I was a terror at under 8's!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,115 ✭✭✭dinneenp

hoganpoly wrote: »
    Nice first attempt , a faster 70-200 lens would help and the non IS ones can be picked up for around €700 on adverts.ie ,one thing in sport if you can always include the ball in the shot and access the game and wait for that tackle/impact or try/celebration and you will get what your looking for...id be willing to meet you if it suits and you could borrow a faster lens as I got a lend from others on here and found it really helpful and costly to my credit card :)

That's a very nice offer- thanks.
    Potential problem- I have a Pentax K-X, would the lens fit with this?
    I've looked at renting one but prices in Ireland are very expensive and most places based in Dublin...

I have Canon gear man , dont mind meeting up at a game some time and you can borrow the gear and soon you,ll be hooked like me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Actually last weekend I got my 1st chance to snap my local club Buccaneers.
    Only started getting into rugby fairly recently (never really understood the rules) so wasn't really sure where best to position myself.
    Ended up along the sideline, between the goal line and the 22.

Was using a 300mm so missed the tries as I was too close.

C&C along with any tips & pointers appreciated.

5415765356_61f37e3f28.jpg

5415153953_730132d1ce.jpg

Great shots ashley

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Very nice shots. Rugby is easier to photograph than football, at least I find that.

I prefer to be behind the try line, since you have players running towards you, and you get their facial expressions when they are tackled.

Love the ruck shot there.

Cheers for the comments.

I was going to perch myself along the end line but didn't think the 300 would be enough to get tackles etc further up the pitch. Weather permitting I'm down there again tomorrow so I might have a move around and see how I get on.

I find footy easier but that cos I played a fair bit so I can try to anticipate moves and all that. Hopefully in time I'll get the same way with rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Bucs v Tarf is a good one to get to if you do make it.

kensutz wrote: »
    Bucs v Tarf is a good one to get to if you do make it.

Yep 1st v 2nd so should be a decent. Had a footy game in Lissywollen called off on Thursday due to waterlogged pitch so not sure what Dubarry will be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Still on. No games have been called off at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wylie Luke

Since we're in the mood for posting pictures from Connacht rugby clubs I'll add this less than impressive teamshot of NUIG, as you can probably tell there wasn't a single usable shot from the day, couldn't see halfway accross the pitch! (and the keen eyed amongst you will find the poster in there somewhere!)

5416256324_b4000e8cd5_z.jpg
    NUIG20_10Ballyhaunis by LukeCMurphy81, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

5416485048_387cafcc1e_z.jpg
    20110108-DSC_1717
    Avoca V Old Alex

Advertisement