Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

do we need a new battery

Options
  • 04-02-2011 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

hi guys, last week we had to call out the AA as the wifes car wouldnt start, basically the battery was flat. The lad who came out had it up and running in a few mins and said because it was lieing idle for two days it could have had an effect but onece we were using the car everyday the batterty would be fine. Just got a call this morning and the same issue, wifes car wont start... main issue here is that we have a baby that needs to be at a creche and wife needs to go to work so having rang in sick this morning should we replace the battery or could it be the alternator or something else?
    car is 02 seat leon with approx 70k on it & it still the original battery. Before she calls the AA again can we ask them to bring a replacement battery or are we better off getting one in halfords or the like and getting the AA to put it in for us when they arrive?
    thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

9 years is a good innings from a battery. Replacing it is where I'd start.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's a battery problem by the sounds of it.
    Halfords expensive unless you have trade card or axa discount card. Even with discount local motor factors will probably be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Hi,,
    Not sure where you are based,but I'd go for a Motor Factor option for a battery. You'll get it much cheaper.

Also,as you suggest yourself,,I'd go and have the alternator looked at,,just in case. Although normally if the alternator is at fault,you'd have the battery light showing on the dash display.

I think the average life span of a battery is about 5 years,so it might be just the case of the cells have died..

Hope this helps.;)

hi guys, last week we had to call out the AA as the wifes car wouldnt start, basically the battery was flat. The lad who came out had it up and running in a few mins and said because it was lieing idle for two days it could have had an effect but onece we were using the car everyday the batterty would be fine.

Fantastic example of what you get with the AA membership, he should have tested the battery for ye and told ye if it needed replacing or not. All being well a battery in a car that is not used shouldn't drain for at least a month if it's only keeping the alarm and clock in the car going.

Also if you call the AA out again for the same fault they can get snotty, if so I would not be slow in telling them last week's clown reckoned the battery was fine.

Advertisement