Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog scared of Dog House :(:(

Options
  • 04-02-2011 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

My little boys never much been a fan of any kind of shelter for himself when he's outside. I made up his own bedroom in the shed and when I'd get home he'd always have his bed dragged all the way up to the back door and he'd sit there even in the rain :( I got him a dog house for Christmas and put it right outside the back door and put all his blankets into it for him.....and he still pulls everything out and sits in the rain :(:( I've tried putting toys and treats in there but he just runs in and grabs them. He's never outside too long and even when I'm home he's in and out playing in the rain but I still don't like to think he'd sit in the rain rather than go into his house :(:( Is there something I could try to do to show him it's not to be scared of??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sassychick

Hi der i cant help you because im having the exact same problem with my dog..will be keeping an eye on this thread for some advice also:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Going by the way crate training has gone for mine, it could help to hide some treats in there. When you're outside with him, give him a command (like "In the box!" or whatever you like) to go in the dog house and then when he does, give him a treat. You might have to throw the treat in to entice him at first.

Keep it up so he starts associating it with good things. You tell him to go in there, he gets a treat, and praise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Bog Bunny

My little boys never much been a fan of any kind of shelter for himself when he's outside. I made up his own bedroom in the shed and when I'd get home he'd always have his bed dragged all the way up to the back door and he'd sit there even in the rain :( I got him a dog house for Christmas and put it right outside the back door and put all his blankets into it for him.....and he still pulls everything out and sits in the rain :(:( I've tried putting toys and treats in there but he just runs in and grabs them. He's never outside too long and even when I'm home he's in and out playing in the rain but I still don't like to think he'd sit in the rain rather than go into his house :(:( Is there something I could try to do to show him it's not to be scared of??
    What breed is your dog? He might be asbolutely water proof so to him rain is nothing to worry about.
    He must be a smart dog that he drags out his bed and brings it to the back door. That's obviously his favourite spot.
    What kind of dog house is it? Perhaps he just cannot stand the smell of the preservative? Or he cannot keep an eye on the back door when he's inside.
    If that's the case, try turning it around so the entrance faces the door.
    Or else, build a little shelter around the back door itself, like a roof and sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭whatanidiot

He's a staffie cross and the cutest thing ever (i guess we all think that about our dogs hehe!!). I've put his house right outside the door facing the door where he usually sits so thought this might entice him to use it. It's a timber house with felt roofing....I washed it out with warm water when I got it first but maybe I could try and clean it completely out and see how that goes. :) He's going so far as to go in and get his treat but he comes straight out again. He's really good for going to his bed (most the time!) when I tell him so I'll def be trying putting a name on it and hope that helps him like the house. Thanks for all the replies from Ogie and me :D:D

Advertisement