Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend an estate car please

Options
  • 04-02-2011 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

I'm giving up on the 8 Series dream for the moment and looking for recommendations for a used estate car. I only have €5000 to spend, but I've looked in the Bangernomics thread and there's very little to suit.

Specifically, I'm trying to decide between an Audi A6 Avant, BMW 5 Series Touring, Skoda Octavia Combi, and possibly an Opel Vectra estate. I'm open to other suggestions too, but I've read too many bad things about the Volvo V70 to consider it.

My last car was a 1.9 TDI Passat with 110bhp. I'd prefer to stick with a diesel, and I really don't want to go over a 2.5l engine as the tax and fuel bills would kill me. On the other hand, I drove a petrol 1.6 Skoda Octavia during the week, and it had no poke at all. I'd also prefer a manual, but I wouldn't turn down an otherwise perfect automatic.

Finally, please post links if you've seen anything suitable around. I probably won't actually buy for 3-4 months, but I need to test drive some examples soon or I'm going to be too big to fit comfortably in any drivers seat.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

For €5k you really are going to struggle to get any of the cars that you've listed, unless you would be ok with something that's 10+ years old and/or is well in excess of 100k miles. If the budget can't be adjusted, then you're much better off going with something like a Ford? You should just about get a 2004/2005 Mondeo/Focus with under 100k miles on the clock for the money you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Another 75 vote here.. high spec from uk in auto if poss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Rover 75 Conn. SE CTDi auto. Hopefully PaintDoctor will be along shortly to explain why!

Don't get anything lower than connoisseur se spec though, comes with all the toys and only costs a pittance more than the lower specs.

Off the top of my head, it comes with:
    Trip computer
    Auto Dimming rear mirror
    Auto wipers
    Cruise Control
    Parking Sensors
    Heated Mirrors(may not be post 2001)
    Roof rails
    Split opening tailgate(the window opens seperately)
    A/C
    All Electric Windows
    Leather
    Heated and electric front seats
    16" Alloys

I'd also try get with one with the premium sound system(harmon kardon speakers and sub, with satnav and tv built in) and with the fuel burning heater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

On the point of the octavia: has high boot lip .. as far as I'm concerned that makes it a hatchback.

My friend has the rover 75 in blue if you can put up with everyone calling you grandad or inspector morse its been good to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Any other thoughts aside from the Morse option? I know paintdoctor and his car, so I'm fully appraised of it's many features and benefits! :) I'm just not quite convinced it's the car for me.

On the budget, I know it's tight; that's why I'm giving myself 3-4 months to find the right car. There's really not a lot out there, so I may well end up importing in the end, but like I said, I kind of need to test drive examples relatively soon, even if not the actual car I will end up buying. I got rid of my Passat specifically because I couldn't stand the pain it gave me in my back any longer - mechanically it was perfect, but I just couldn't stand driving it.

I don't really care what year the car is, so long as it's relatively mechanically sound. For the money, I know I won't get anything under 80000miles, but at the same time I'd be slow to go over 100,000 without a genuine FSH so I know what I can expect to come up on the service schedule over the next year at least.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

paddyp wrote: »
    On the point of the octavia: has high boot lip .. as far as I'm concerned that makes it a hatchback.

I noticed this on the one I test drove during the week. I'm currently driving dahamsta's Astra van, and I love the fact that the back it totally flat. I'll have to go back and look at this again. Thanks for pointing it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

My 2c. Very good all rounder, if you were to look in UK / NI you'd find higher spec models.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/ford/mondeo-estate-2000.aspx

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1843048

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Tragedy wrote: »
    Rover 75 Conn. SE CTDi auto. Hopefully PaintDoctor will be along shortly to explain why!

Don't get anything lower than connoisseur se spec though, comes with all the toys and only costs a pittance more than the lower specs.

Trip computer
    Auto Dimming rear mirror
    Auto wipers
    Cruise Control
    Parking Sensors
    Heated Mirrors(may not be post 2001)
    Roof rails
    Split opening tailgate(the window opens seperately)
    A/C
    All Electric Windows
    Leather
    Heated and electric front seats
    16" Alloys

I'd also try get with one with the premium sound system(harmon kardon speakers and sub, with satnav and tv built in) and with the fuel burning heater.

This made me (wryly) smile.. as yes the Rover 75 is great car. One day I will have a V8... I know I should have done it when I was in the UK. Damn.

Now imagine that list for a Rover 800.... it is a list of the things which probably no longer work on it! :)

si_guru wrote: »
    Now imagine that list for a Rover 800.... it is a list of the things which probably no longer work on it! :)

Well, if you ignore the roof rails and the split opening tailgate, there was never an 800 estate available ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Consider cars with torsion rear suspension - they have a much lower protrusion into the car.

Peugeot 306 estate, Astra Estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Tragedy wrote: »

Pipe Rack
    Integrated Teasmade
    Walnut Bookshelf
    Heated Slippers Drawer
    Hat Stand

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

Pipe Rack
    Integrated Teasmade
    Walnut Bookshelf
    Heated Slippers Drawer
    Hat Stand

:pac:

... and driver called James, as in "Home James, and dont spare the Horses";)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I really like the 75, actually, one of the few attempts to do an upscale interior that isn't Japanese plasticy gadgets or German wood-that-looks-just-like-plastic.

Alfas with leather are well designed, but the execution is iffy. Renault have tried a few times, like the Vel Satis, but failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

You can have mine!

Advertisement