Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Water pump/timing belt and head gasget repair?

Options
  • 03-02-2011 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,
    I've just learned that the water pump and timing belt need to be fixed in my 2000 renault megan after it overheated last weekend (cost approx 500e) but then there's the question of the head gasget being damed too!

Is there any way of knowing about the damage done to the gasget (ie if it would also have to be replaced) BEFORE forking out the 500 euro?

Basically , the pump/water froze last weekend and am just about to scrape...but .... trying to see if it's salvagable...fixable for under 1,000 - as I can't aford to replace car for more!

Any advise much appricated.

Thanks.
    Ross

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

ross007 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've just learned that the water pump and timing belt need to be fixed in my 2000 renault megan after it overheated last weekend (cost approx 500e) but then there's the question of the head gasget being damed too!

Is there any way of knowing about the damage done to the gasget (ie if it would also have to be replaced) BEFORE forking out the 500 euro?

Basically , the pump/water froze last weekend and am just about to scrape...but .... trying to see if it's salvagable...fixable for under 1,000 - as I can't aford to replace car for more!

Any advise much appricated.

Thanks.
    Ross

If you have a pressure test carried on the cooling system you will know if its loosing pressure, if there are no external leaks then a headgasket could be likely. A sniff test would confirm.
    The head gaskets are pretty solid on the meganes so unless you continuously cooked it then I'd guess it will be fine with a new pump and belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ross007

thanks for your reply / time Doc....got to make some decissions on it today!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Even the head gasket and a complete timing belt kit should cost a lot less than €1000, as renewing the HG involves removing the belt anyway.

Advertisement