Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog and General Anaesthetic

Options
  • 03-02-2011 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭

My dog Honey is having an xray tomorrow and will be getting a general anaesthetic. I know she has had one before because she had her pups by section just before I rehomed her.

I suppose apart from being nervous about the whole thing I'm keen to try and do everything for her that will put her at ease tomorrow before she goes to the vets. I'm also interested if anyone has any tips on what I can do for her when she comes home tomorrow.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

What breed is she? What age is she?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Pixie, she's a 8 year old Cairn terrier cross. She's having an xray on her back leg as she's started to limp on it recently. Vet thinks it might be a touch of arthritis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Do you know what type of anaesthesia will be used? Apparently injectable anaesthetics are more quickly dispelled from a dog and therefore carry less risk.

I assume bloods have already been taken for the dog to assess her general health and her ability to metabolise the drugs properly.

Older dogs may tend to recover a little more quickly from anaesthetic and procedures because they would generally be a bit less "bouncy" like a puppy and will give their bodies the right amount of rest before going all out again after a visit to the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My guy's had a few GAs at this stage for xrays and he's always fine after them. He usually goes in around 10:00 and I'd collect him that afternoon. He's usually clingy after he's been left at the vets so he'll be glued to us the rest of the day and will snooze in whatever room we're in and snuggle up with us on the couch. They usually give him something to eat to make sure he doesn't get sick and that he's weeing ok then I'd feed him again in the evening but soak his food so it's easier on his tummy. He's 19months now and I do worry when I sign the form but he needs the operations so he'll have a good quality of life.

Advertisement