Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diploma in French based in Dublin?

Options
  • 03-02-2011 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hi all,

I was hoping to pick up french again, haven't studied it since secondary school but also want to get a college type qualifcation/diploma in it as I'm trying to find work in the EU and I feel like not having a second language is holding me back. I was wondering if anyone happens to know if any colleges or ITs offer a Diploma in French as a night class? I've been looking online at the main college but can't seem to find one anywhere. They seem to run them in UL and NUIG so I thought it was strange that there doesn't seem to be anywhere offering such a course in Dublin?

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

If you mean work in the EU as in the Commission or the like, then you don't actually need a certificate saying that you've studied the language. They'll give you an exam to take in the foreign language, and if you pass then that's good enough proof that you can speak it.

Have you looked at the Alliance Francaise? They offer courses throughout the year at literally all levels, and in business and economic French too. It's on Kildare St, and I've heard they're very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Aard wrote: »
    If you mean work in the EU as in the Commission or the like, then you don't actually need a certificate saying that you've studied the language. They'll give you an exam to take in the foreign language, and if you pass then that's good enough proof that you can speak it.

Have you looked at the Alliance Francaise? They offer courses throughout the year at literally all levels, and in business and economic French too. It's on Kildare St, and I've heard they're very good.

Exactly. You must take the entrance exam for the commission in your chose second language (French or German). If you pass your C.V. gets admitted to the group which are available for selection by the Directorate General.

Pay is very good, the lowliest job starts at about 4.5k tax free (per month)!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

That's for a grade 5 or so. If you're an "assistant", it's less (though I imagine the OP is aiming for 5 or higher). It's not entirely tax free, but the taxes are negligible. You also get an increase as a function of distance between your home country and Brussels.

Advertisement