Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

insurance

Options
  • 03-02-2011 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

i have a 9 seat toyota minibus and i cant get an insurance for private use any were any help out there thanks for looking

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Bus and Minibus Insurance

Whether you have an 8 seater minibus or a 52 seater coach AXA will cover your bus insurance requirements. With reduced rates for P.A.M.B.O. members.

http://www.axaplus.ie/axa.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 31 3pigs

Bus and Minibus Insurance

Whether you have an 8 seater minibus or a 52 seater coach AXA will cover your bus insurance requirements. With reduced rates for P.A.M.B.O. members.

http://www.axaplus.ie/axa.htm
    i rang them and they said because i want it for private use they dont do it thanks any way i have rang about 30 places and no joy

3pigs wrote: »
    i have a 9 seat toyota minibus and i cant get an insurance for private use any were any help out there thanks for looking
    bump

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Is it 9 seat including driver or 9 passengers + driver (10 together) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Daft question.. but is this a similar problem to many 4x4/pickup owners?

Insurance companies are reluctant to provide private insurance because it's a commercial vehicle (assuming yours is).. but they will provide commercial insurance which has a SD&P clause anyway.. So in essence you are covered.. (thats why I do from my L200).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Any chance it's a drivers license issue; our standard B license only covers us for 8 seats, IIRC.

They may be assuming that the OP only has a B license, even it the OP has the correct license.

Try a broker such as Gogans in Dublin (01-2990299) or O'Sullivans in Galway (091-567395)

Fey! wrote: »
    Any chance it's a drivers license issue; our standard B license only covers us for 8 seats, IIRC.

To be precise - 8 passenger seats + driver = 9 person.
    That's maximum on B category licence.

CiniO wrote: »
    Is it 9 seat including driver or 9 passengers + driver (10 together) ?
    its 8 plus driver anything over that you need a d1 which i have i only want it for private use i am a carpenter and have a van and she has a car but i have 4 kids and 2 step kids so it means taking the car and the van if we are going out any were together

its 8 plus driver anything over that you need a d1 which i have i only want it for private use i am a carpenter and have a van and she has a car but i have 4 kids and 2 step kids so it means taking the car and the van if we are going out any were together

If it's only 8 passengers + driver then it's a normal car. It should be taxed privately, and you must be able to get private insurance for it.
    AFAIR there is some place in Ireland where you can apply with a complaint if you can't obtain insurance for your car.

If it's only 8 passengers + driver then it's a normal car. It should be taxed privately, and you must be able to get private insurance for it.
    AFAIR there is some place in Ireland where you can apply with a complaint if you can't obtain insurance for your car.
    i had it insured with quinn but i had to take out a fleet policy that cost 2100 euro and i taxed it private my insurance on my last car was 338 euro it was a 2l avensis crazy

• Advertisement

i had it insured with quinn but i had to take out a fleet policy that cost 2100 euro and i taxed it private my insurance on my last car was 338 euro it was a 2l avensis crazy

You shouldn't have paid so much.
    You should have insisted to get normal car policy on this car.

You shouldn't have paid so much.
    You should have insisted to get normal car policy on this car.
    they all just say there underwriters wont cover it:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

ring the insurance ombudsman and tell him you have been denied insurance on your vehicle....

iirc if you are turned down 3 or so times they are obliged to get u a quote

robtri wrote: »
    ring the insurance ombudsman and tell him you have been denied insurance on your vehicle....

iirc if you are turned down 3 or so times they are obliged to get u a quote
    will do thanks mate i will let you know how i get on

Advertisement