Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A7 3.0TFSI.....

Options
  • 03-02-2011 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

Just had an Audi A7 3.0 TFSI for the afternoon and thought I'd share my thoughts as its an interesting motor......and see if anyone else here has driven one and agrees/disagrees.

Well it looks good to my eyes, better than in photos but still a little odd around the rear with that drooping tail. Front end is nice and aggressive and overall it is well proportioned.

The interior is in my view the best thing about the car, its really superb. Stylish and high quality, with a nice ambience. The multimedia screen deploys from the dash - which looks cool but I found it to be quite large and a bit intrusive and so sent it back down into the dash where it belongs when I was driving! The interface though is really good, and the controls are intuitive.

The engine is the new 3L supercharged Audi unit and its quite good. The power delivery and linearity is excellent. I wasnt a fan of the sound quality though - sounds like a washing machine, far too much supercharger noise. Not a patch on a BMW straight six from an aural pleasure perspective, but apart from that I found it very good.

The car had adaptive dampers - choose between comfort, normal and dynamic modes. Obviously dynamic was selected immediately! It handles well for a big car. The steering is precise and well weighted once the speed picks up (personally I found it a bit too light at urban speeds) but could have more feedback. It hangs on well, and resists understeer admirably - much more so than I expected.

The ride is acceptable in dynamic mode, but in normal/comfort I think its a bit choppy but not something I couldnt live with.

The refinement was average. Road noise was surprisingly high (and it was only on 19"s). Lots of tyre cavity noise and from the rear seat you could feel vibration that seemed to be from the rear bulkhead. Also, some of the sealing was poor - wind noise was not really at the level I expected.

I think thats about it! Overall I liked it, its a very desirable car and a lovely car to spend time in. My biggest gripe would have to be the refinement.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

19s are still a bit big for an A6 sized car though (it is smaller than A8 yeah?). Were they RFTs?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,983 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Was that a quattro? Are most A7s quattro, maybe apart from the entry level models? Was it a tiptronic or a CVT box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

unkel wrote: »
    Was that a quattro? Are most A7s quattro, maybe apart from the entry level models? Was it a tiptronic or a CVT box?

Also wondering if its a quattro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

unkel wrote: »

The Quattro is standard with that engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Op, what do you normally drive?
    Just wondering what sets the standard for your comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

-Corkie- wrote: »
    The Quattro is standard with that engine.

Would want to be!

I find any VAG from 1.8T gives horrible feedback unless it's a quattro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Would want to be!

I find any VAG from 1.8T gives horrible feedback unless it's a quattro.

Thats true all that power going to one axle is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Thats true all that power going to one axle is madness.

It's fine in a RWD not a FWD - makes the steering all jumpy when you plant it at low speeds. 1.8T ain't exactly 'powerful' either! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Did you drive it in Ireland David? If so i think I know who owns it! ;)

Advertisement