Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aughintemple, Ardagh

Options
  • 03-02-2011 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Any advice on how one would get there from Longford town? I am going to be taking a bus from Galway to Longford to see where my family used to live, but have no idea how to get to Ardagh from there. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

Do you know how to use google maps.....Click here

Click Get Directions and put Longford in the A box and put Aghintemple in the B box (watch your spelling of Aghintemple, it doesn't have a "u" in google maps)

It'l give you back a map that you can zoom right in on, you can see shops, people the whole lot, Longford railway station (it has a little blue icon beside it) is also the longford bus station so you can see where you'll get off the bus.

Taxis if you need them are at the "Market Square". Tell the driver to take the left just before you come to Belton Engineering out the Ardagh road. It's only 5 or 6 miles in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

serious answer philly, doubt there's much chance of public transport to get there, so taxis are your only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 phillydushior

Thanks guys!

I know that the first response was probably a joke, I apologize for my stupidity. I'm an Irish-American who has recently come to Ireland for an extended stay and was unsure of the locations of Aughintemple and Ardagh, I just found out that Aughintemple is the town grounds for Ardagh. I think that a taxi is probably my best bet, unless I do it by foot. Thank you both though!

Any advice on a cheap place to stay in Longford City (or close to it)?

city?? ok now you're just looking for abuse.

try http://www.viewmounthouse.com/

lovely place to stay, food is great. top end of places to stay in longford though, not that the longford arms is much of a competition these days.

city?? ok now you're just looking for abuse.

try http://www.viewmounthouse.com/

lovely place to stay, food is great. top end of places to stay in longford though, not that the longford arms is much of a competition these days.

Town. My apologies. Thanks again!

• Advertisement

no worries!! enjoy your time there, hope you find what you're looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Any advice on how one would get there from Longford town? I am going to be taking a bus from Galway to Longford to see where my family used to live, but have no idea how to get to Ardagh from there. Any advice would be appreciated.

Excuse the curiosity but my husbands family came from Aghintemple a way back. We just drove out by it last Sunday and there arent too many old houses in the townland, so maybe you are related? Duffy's?

Excuse the curiosity but my husbands family came from Aghintemple a way back. We just drove out by it last Sunday and there arent too many old houses in the townland, so maybe you are related? Duffy's?

My family was the Ryans. They left for the US in the early 20th century, so while they may have known each other, there isn't a relation. That would have been cool though.

I wound up going out to Ardagh/Aughintemple and having a great time, the people who live there (including the current residents of where my family had lived) were very hospitable. I loved the midlands. I walked to those towns from Longford town, even though all of the people who I told that I would do that thought I was crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Glad it went well. Shame you're not a long lost relly though. That would have been cool.

My family was the Ryans. They left for the US in the early 20th century, so while they may have known each other, there isn't a relation. That would have been cool though.

I wound up going out to Ardagh/Aughintemple and having a great time, the people who live there (including the current residents of where my family had lived) were very hospitable. I loved the midlands. I walked to those towns from Longford town, even though all of the people who I told that I would do that thought I was crazy.

yes, i would agree, that is crazy!!
    how long did it take you? glad to hear you had a great time though!

• Advertisement

Roughly about 2 and a half hours, maybe a little bit more. We walked all the way down one wrong road at one point, then had to walk back. It was all worth it though.

I'll be back at some point, thanks to all the people I encountered in Co. Longford that were nice and hospitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

kerash wrote: »

AH! Thanks for the link. I may do that when I wind up going out there again, probably a wiser choice.

Advertisement